GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chipped ECU Swap

Mk5Steven

Car(s)
2009 PZEV GTI
I have a 2009 GTI CBFA (MT) and I was wondering what it would involve if I were to swap the stock ECU with a stage 1 or 2 ECU. I would find one with the same engine code, year, etc but I was wondering if the instrument cluster is also paired to the ecu as I have heard you can have immo problems. If you have any information on this let me know as I was planning on buying a chipped ecu and keeping the stock one for dealer trips.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Dealer trips? You're out of warranty right? I would just tell the dealer to leave your ecu alone. By the time you pay for immo defeat and the second ecu, you could have a real tune flashed on what you've got.

Mk5Steven

Car(s)
2009 PZEV GTI
Dealer trips? You're out of warranty right? I would just tell the dealer to leave your ecu alone. By the time you pay for immo defeat and the second ecu, you could have a real tune flashed on what you've got.
I have 116k miles and the PZEV Warranty lasts until 150k
-edit: if i was not under warranty i would definitely get a real tune flashed its just I don't want to mess with the warranty because it covers a ton of expensive maintenance that could potentially arise here soon.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Oh ok. Let us know what you find out. I would think the ECU is the same, maybe just some coding differences for the chassis.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I have 116k miles and the PZEV Warranty lasts until 150k
-edit: if i was not under warranty i would definitely get a real tune flashed its just I don't want to mess with the warranty because it covers a ton of expensive maintenance that could potentially arise here soon.

And you cant wait the 36k miles to be over before you get your tune on the original ECU.

You can get another ECU with the same numbers and tune that and use it but you will have to deal with the immo by either doing a delete or matching to the immo in the car.

Mk5Steven

Car(s)
2009 PZEV GTI
And you cant wait the 36k miles to be over before you get your tune on the original ECU.

You can get another ECU with the same numbers and tune that and use it but you will have to deal with the immo by either doing a delete or matching to the immo in the car.
I only put on about 10k miles a year and I’m going to put a catted Downpipe on soon and I would like to have a test pipe file so I don’t have to deal with the CEL