GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheap custom oil catch can

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
Well, since i found oil sprayed from the cap alllll over my engine bay i decided it was to dangerous to let go. After some research and some test fitting i came up with this custom oil catch can until BSH or another company finally comes out with theirs.

In all, it cost me less than $50 in parts and not as long in labor. I still want to incorporate a check valve but havnt sourced a decent one yet. With this setup it shouldnt be that hard since im dealing with 1/2" ID tubing.

Sorry for the cell phone pics... epsecially since they're not even the right angle.

-1 x Air compressor water catch tank
-2 x 3/8"npt male to female elbow
-2 x 3/8"npt male to 1/2" hose barb
-2 x 1/2" ID stainless metal pipe cut to 1" pieces
-2 x 2" 3/4 ID Heater hose to fit on barbs of the current PCV setup
-2 x lengths of 1/2"ID x 3/4"OD clear chemical resistant tubing (fits perfect inside 3/4"ID heater hose.
-assorted hose clamps

The 1" ss metal tubing is inserted in the clear tubing for rigidity, then inserted 1" into the 3/4" heater hose. This is then clamped and installed onto the existing PCV hose locations.

Here are the shots of oil in my engine bay...

Here are some shots of the can before it gets fitted...

8/32 silicone sealant coated screw to seal the drain... There is a built in check valve in the bottom but i dont trust it. Other

Materials used:

Last edited:

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
its a water trap for an air compressor... it can be used the same way to trap the oil vapor from the crankcase so it never enters the intake manifold.

the problem is not from the oil cap, a failed PCV which has failed will pressurize the crankcase and blow the oil out the only place that it can, the oil cap. The crankcase is not meant to see boost.

desperate times call for desperate measures

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
Arite I gotcha now, very creative.

But wouldn't that get clogged easily and/or have to clean it often? only because if oil is thicker than water which is what that filter is meant for, water, and wouldnt sluge and whatever else might be in the oil clog it up to?

This could be a good check valve if you could some how connect it to the bottom of the catch?

Attachments

• 39867506-099e-43e6-8312-6b660b20370a_400.jpg
    39867506-099e-43e6-8312-6b660b20370a_400.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 3,570
Last edited:

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
the filter lets the air pass... the oil accumulates in the bottom... it simply unscrews and you dump out the oil like any other catch can. Even if the filter got clogged its no big deal, people are running with the PCV system completely bypassed and plugged with no problems.

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
the filter lets the air pass... the oil accumulates in the bottom... it simply unscrews and you dump out the oil like any other catch can. Even if the filter got clogged its no big deal, people are running with the PCV system completely bypassed and plugged with no problems.

I see, looks like a great idea than:thumbsup:

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
I know I basically already asked this so sry but where is the oil coming from to begin with, and whats causing it? I mean I know your filtering it from the air but how is it getting in the air to begin with?

Is this only on chipped or modded engines?

Also wouldn't the engine just burn the oil anyways or does it create some kind of performance loss?

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
It comes from the oil cap, the place where you pour in the oil... It is being blown back out the oil cap because the PCV (positive crankcase ventillation) valve has failed. The crankcase should never see boost, only vacuum (for emissions purposes vacuum is used to pull the oil vapor out of the crankcase so it can purposly be burned and not vented to atmosphere). Yes the oil will burn but it creates carbon deposits and lowers the octane of the fuel you are running. So yes, it does decrease performance if left uncorrected.