GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheap coils or new springs?

jad413

Ready to race!
Howdy. I've got 135k on my GTI now and the suspension seems to be getting a little tired, or I'm getting tired of it. I've got the Koni STR.T struts with H&R super sport springs currently and I'm finding it too harsh for my daily driving through the constant state of destruction that is CT highways. I feel like there's just not enough travel anymore to soak up anything but the smallest of pebbles, and sometimes those low frequency dips will send the cAr bouncing more than once. I love the stance of the car, there's hardly any wheel gap to speak of and I can manage most speed bumps without issue. I'm willing to give up a little low to be more comfortable though. I've been planning to switch to the regular H&R sport springs and have a sort of pseudo cup kit setup (driven the cup kit, loved it) plus changing out the strut mounts etc in the process. I'll be keeping the STR.T struts as they seem to be in fine condition.
Here's the question: BFI has these "Pwrhaus" coilovers on sale for $400. Am I better off getting these and having some adjustment for winter?
Keep in mind that my goal here is better ride quality while keeping handling sporty and ride height un-dorky. I run 18" Detroits with 5mm spacers in the summer and 16" Audi A4 wheels with 205/55/16 snow tires in the winter. I do rub a tiny bit on both sets with the current springs. I don't want to spend too much, the car is older, daily driven 70+ miles and frankly not worth the money I've put into it already to anyone other than a VW nut. So please don't tell me I need $2000 coilovers or bags, I don't track or show it in any serious capacity.

Sent from my iPhone

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Cheap coilovers are going to give you a worse ride

The lowest dropping springs you have on the car currently, definitely aren't helping.
I think swapping to the H&R Sports would be a better move

Just double check that the STR.T's aren't blown/dead when installing to make sure everything will be good

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I agree. I just installed Koni StrT's and H&R sports on my buddies rabbit this past weekend. He says it's bouncy and a little too stiff for him. But for you, coming from the setup you have I think you would like it. Those StrT's are not doing you much good though. Not a big fan of them personally but to each his own. I don't think they control the springs well. How many miles are on your current setup, not the car. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a blown shock or two.

The fact that you can feel the difference indicates blown shocks. Springs will settle but they don't really go bad. Maybe pick up some used springs and new shocks. That may end up being the safest route, avoid cheap coilovers at all costs. They are not worth it, and since you don't want to drop $1k+ I'd stick with the spring shock combo.

ABQGTI08

Southwest dubber
Car(s)
2008 Tornado Red GTI
Sorry, for thread jack...I'm on stock for about 91k on my '08 GTI, planning to keep the car longer. Looking for coilover suggestion that's around under $1500.

ABQGTI08

Southwest dubber
Car(s)
2008 Tornado Red GTI
Sorry, for thread jack...I'm on stock for about 91k on my '08 GTI, planning to keep the car longer. Looking for coilover suggestion that's around under $1500.

THE_LUCKY_GTI_KID

Passed Driver's Ed
ill straight up trade you my nuespeed sport springs for your H&R super sports if you want.

jad413

Ready to race!
Cheap coilovers are going to give you a worse ride

That's what I wanted to hear. I suspected as much, and I wouldn't even be cranking them down.

I agree. I just installed Koni StrT's and H&R sports on my buddies rabbit this past weekend. He says it's bouncy and a little too stiff for him. But for you, coming from the setup you have I think you would like it. Those StrT's are not doing you much good though. Not a big fan of them personally but to each his own. I don't think they control the springs well. How many miles are on your current setup, not the car. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a blown shock or two.

The fact that you can feel the difference indicates blown shocks. Springs will settle but they don't really go bad. Maybe pick up some used springs and new shocks. That may end up being the safest route, avoid cheap coilovers at all costs. They are not worth it, and since you don't want to drop $1k+ I'd stick with the spring shock combo.

I'd say there's 65-70k on the current setup, but that does include 2 of the worst winters I've ever seen in 35 years. The Konis aren't blown, they'd be leaking if they were. I agree they're not the best but they're better than stock at handling a mild drop and I don't need anything crazy. I'd probably just the bilsteins if I needed to replace them.
I honestly couldn't tell you if it really rides any different than the day we installed the current setup, or if its just me being sick of it, but I do know the roads are a lot more fucked up than they were 2 years ago. It feels less "controlled" but I also have much less aggressive tires on the Detroits than I once had. There's still zero body movement, just a lot of "smack" over those unavoidable spots in the road. I have a kid now too and although he doesn't seem bothered by it, I can't see getting slapped around being very good for him lol.

Sent from my iPhone

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I'd say there's 65-70k on the current setup
It feels less "controlled"
a lot of "smack" over those unavoidable spots in the road

Sounds like they're tired....plan on some new dampers with your new springs, if you go that route

They don't have to leak to be bad....even the OEM ones won't leak if they're bad...they just stop rebounding, which means they're done

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

What are you focusing on?
Stiffer ride/handling?
Tracking the car?
Comfort?

HPA SHS's give a nice balance of all that, IMO. (similar to KW V1's, but cheaper & a nicer ride)
Konis are another good option (not ideal for tracking though), but will get you lower than the HPA's

jad413

Ready to race!
What do you guys think of this setup?

I'm wondering if it's better to get H&Rs "touring" cup kit with the specially valved shocks (doesn't say what they are specifically) or if this will suffice for my wants and needs. Seems like it will ride nice while maintaining sportier than stock handling and looks. Saves me some money for refreshing the bearings and bushings etc. I just found out I'm getting transferred closer to home which is great, but it's going to be more city and backroad driving, which means more errant potholes, less slapping freeway expansion joints at 80mph.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jad413

Ready to race!
^^ pulled the trigger on this setup. The ride has improved dramatically. It's still sporty, the road feel is there it's just significantly less harsh. There's more body motion, but it's far from excessive. The only thing I'm not happy with is the ride height. I figured it would only be a half inch higher than it was but its more like a full inch or more. It is lower than stock but it looks like a monster truck to me right now. I suppose I'll get used to it and it'll settle some more as I drive it. Now to get it aligned and the wheels balanced. There's a pretty strange vibration going on at speed, and particularly uphill it starts shaking in the wheel and then moves to the back as the speeds increase. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone