GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

changing ABS Module

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I had the same error code and issue with the 125 in the 4th freeze frame line and after contacting VW and my local dealership confirming the error code they are in the processes of replacing the ABS control module under the recall. There's a warranty extension for the ABS control module as part of the recall, so there's no reason why they shouldn't be replacing it for you.
How long between your software update and VW changing out the module, the letter from Vw does not state any time limit.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I have an 09 too, died before the recall came out. I just bought used one from a MK6 GTI off ebay for $60 and put it in. Copied old coding over in VCDS and saved it then did all the required basic settings. Had to add 00 to end of coding to get it to accept. Its cramped area to work in but not too hard to replace. Also with a MK6 ABS module you can enable the "electronic lsd" that applies brake to the required side during during cornering
@chorales this is the way to go. They were about $100 last time I looked. Any 2010-2014 GTI pump/module should work for you.

chorales

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
that's what i am planning on doing once winter is over. i was looking at part numbers and there are 2 different ones for the MKVI GTI the only difference looks like one has hill assist or something and the other one doesn't. that wouldn't make any difference in my application would it? i know i have to code the module i am putting in but my computer shouldnt care if this ABS module does or doesnt have hill assist?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
that's what i am planning on doing once winter is over. i was looking at part numbers and there are 2 different ones for the MKVI GTI the only difference looks like one has hill assist or something and the other one doesn't. that wouldn't make any difference in my application would it? i know i have to code the module i am putting in but my computer shouldnt care if this ABS module does or doesnt have hill assist?
If your current module has the option for hill hold, I would get one that has it just to play it safe with coding. Even if you don't use it.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
For all you 08-09 GTI folks, plug your VIN into this...
https://www.vw.com/en/recalls.html
Mine is covered and I've made an appointment to bring it in later this week. I did buy a used mk6 pump that's sitting on the shelf, but I'll be happy to let the dealer handle this one job.
1669598320786.png

1669598427472.png

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
For all you 08-09 GTI folks, plug your VIN into this...
https://www.vw.com/en/recalls.html
Mine is covered and I've made an appointment to bring it in later this week. I did buy an mk6 pump that's sitting on the shelf, but I'll be happy to let the dealer handle this one job.
View attachment 266625

View attachment 266626

When did this recall cover MY '08?

Also keep in mind that when you check the web site it is checking for an open recall if the recall was done it will not tell you. Depending on what was actaully done during that visit you might still get a new abs module if Vw only did the software during the recall and not the abs module, of course you will have to have the proper dtc for it replacement. Best bet is to call VW customer service ask about the recall if they say there is none then ask if it was every done. More than a few people has almost lost out because of just checking the web site.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
When did this recall cover MY '08?

Also keep in mind that when you check the web site it is checking for an open recall if the recall was done it will not tell you. Depending on what was actaully done during that visit you might still get a new abs module if Vw only did the software during the recall and not the abs module, of course you will have to have the proper dtc for it replacement. Best bet is to call VW customer service ask about the recall if they say there is none then ask if it was every done. More than a few people has almost lost out because of just checking the web site.
It's technically the 08.5 and up cars? 08 was a transition year, so you'll see both FSI and TSI builds in the wild.
I believe this applies to only the late 08 TSI cars. Mine was built then, though it's registered as an 09.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I'm wondering if anyone has been denied this recall due to a tune? (APR or otherwise)

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
It's technically the 08.5 and up cars? 08 was a transition year, so you'll see both FSI and TSI builds in the wild.
I believe this applies to only the late 08 TSI cars. Mine was built then, though it's registered as an 09.
Yes I understand about the '08 and that both FSI & TSI engines were used in that MY but I have never seen anything about the '08 MY TSI being covered by the recall, just MY '09 &'10 and I seem to recall some complain about why no love for the MY '08.5 TSI.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Have not heard of that happening but VW is check for tunes more than before. The recall is also only free for 15yrs so the door is closing.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Have not heard of that happening but VW is check for tunes more than before. The recall is also only free for 15yrs so the door is closing.
I figured there was time limit, this is good info thanks. I just looked and prices on the used mk6 pumps are up too, but still cheaper than the dealer.
Bringing mine in on Thursday, guess I'll find out if they flag me for the tune (I'll put it in stock mode and see what happens).

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I just got back from the dealer in Columbus. They did the software update and test drove the car. It faults immediately at startup now.
They are ordering the new pump/module, and will cover everything with the recall. It would be $2k+ if you paid out of pocket. With any luck they'll get me back in later next week.
If anyone is denied this repair, I have an mk6 AJ revision pump on the shelf. PM me.

IMG_20221201_134210169_HDR.jpg

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 16-08-30 $_12.JPG (JPEG Image 483 × 500 pixels).png