GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chainsaws

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
I got a chance to walk the property yesterday and assess everything from a different perspective than I just want cool new tools. I definitely think a battery saw will be what works best right now for me. This is better for a few reasons, I can have both and who doesn‘t want both?!?!?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Great thread.

I use chainsaws pretty heavily for my day job. Just picked up a Stihl 500i with 28" bar, actually a great saw for being fuel injected. I currently run a Stihl 461 for the go-to in my truck, 25"-28" bar depending on the situation. Biggest saw I ran was a Stihl Ms660 with 45" bar while in Northern California. My personal saw is a Stihl 044, great piece.

1645069244076.jpeg

Last edited:

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Badass. So my mother in law is coming to visit tomorrow from up north and my father in law told me not to buy any new tools because he had something for me for my birthday. I’m going to wait and see if she brings anything with her before I go buy anything, that way I figure if she brings me some dewalt tools like he had mentioned I will go with a saw that uses a compatible battery system (within reason). But right now the top of my list is the 56V Ego 16” saw followed by the dewalt 60v 16”.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
I use the Milwaukee M18 series tools and when I got tired of maintenance my gas chainsaw and since I used it too infrequently it was always needing help starting even draining gas ect after every use. Long story short. The Milwaukee battery chainsaw is a great addition to my tools

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Chainsaw??.........thats for wimps.... ;)

This is what I use (42inch long blade) on everything (pine, spruce, oak, cherry, larch, birch) from 4inch upto 14inch diameter.....most of the stuff I get is in the 7inch to 11inch range.

3ft6-wood-saw.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Good looking misery whip. (y)

Haha..... :p

Nothing misery about it....razer sharp & cuts through with little effort....& lighter to handle than a chainsaw.....no noise pollution, & no need to wear protective ear, eye, & face gear, or chainsaw proof trousers/bibs, jackets... ;)

Technique gained over the past 2 decades, at least, helps....& its what is known as a "resistance workout"....💪

Anyway some of the public places I get windblown there are people about with dogs etc, so to use a chainsaw requires liability insurance which I don't have....

P.S. chainsaws & sand don't mix..& some places I get washed up windblown are sandy beaches...

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Chainsaw??.........thats for wimps.... ;)

This is what I use (42inch long blade) on everything (pine, spruce, oak, cherry, larch, birch) from 4inch upto 14inch diameter.....most of the stuff I get is in the 7inch to 11inch range.

View attachment 239684
Dave has shown pics of mountaineering tools and saws both with tape measures. Let's not get into a dick measuring contest with him although 16 CM does sound impressive.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Haha..... :p

Nothing misery about it....razer sharp & cuts through with little effort....& lighter to handle than a chainsaw.....no noise pollution, & no need to wear protective ear, eye, & face gear, or chainsaw proof trousers/bibs, jackets... ;)

Technique gained over the past 2 decades, at least, helps....& its what is known as a "resistance workout"....💪

Anyway some of the public places I get windblown there are people about with dogs etc, so to use a chainsaw requires liability insurance which I don't have....

P.S. chainsaws & sand don't mix..& some places I get washed up windblown are sandy beaches...

We’ll use crosscut saws in the wilderness areas here, where mechanized equipment is prohibited.

Misery Whips we’re their nickname back in the day. Not sure if that's a common term in the U.K.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-man_saw

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dave has shown pics of mountaineering tools and saws both with tape measures. Let's not get into a dick measuring contest with him although 16 CM does sound impressive.

Ha...ha..

....Tape measure is for scale, & you'll note I use inches (as this is mainly a NAR forum) for your benefit. ;)...

We’ll use crosscut saws in the wilderness areas here, where mechanized equipment is prohibited.

Misery Whips we’re their nickname back in the day.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-man_saw

I know what in USA in certain areas they (chainsaws) are prohibited.....I used to live over in the USA...;).....funny thing..that one man saw of mine is made in Sheffield in the UK..& they sell masses of those saws & the bigger two man saws in the USA..they even do special custom pit saws etc..

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Reactions: krs