GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL issue, Purge Valve on my 2009 GTI?

Red-2009-GTI

Ready to race!
Well It is time for mandatory Emmissions testing here in the Phoenix area, and since my GTI is now 5 yers old it must be tested and pass before I can get it registered. I have a Check Enging Light that has been on for a long time. The first sign of trouble was the Check Gas Cap warning and that queer little gas cap light. So I ordered a new gas cap, put it on, cleared all the codes. I drove about 30 miles today and the damned CEL came back, but the "check gas cap" warning DID NOT come on.

I have read a couple posts here about a purge valve as a next step. When I search 2009 GTI it comes up with a Secondary Air Injection Valve, or a vapor canister check valve, are either of these this "purge valve" part?
I will connect up my laptop and VAG-com cable tonight and see what codes are present.

I really do not want to take it to the dealer, open my checkbook, and get the "we changed these twelve parts, so go drive it and see if the codes come back, by te way it is $678.00" The car runs fine, just has an issue with an emissions thing that now must be made right.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Are you using vcds and what codes exactly do you see?

Red-2009-GTI

Ready to race!
Are you using vcds and what codes exactly do you see?

Yes, I have a Ross Tech CAN buss VCDS with the the latest revision (12.2) going into my laptop PC.

Currently the codes are the Secondary Air Solenoid (open). I am not at my laptop at the moment so I cannot tell you the code number. If it can help I will post this later today. I appreciate you interest!

Red-2009-GTI

Ready to race!
Das, thanks. This may be my problem indeed. I took the car in to the dealer this morning. I do not have too much time to get this car in shape before my emissions testing and registration, so I just want it done (and will have to pay the price).

Appreciate the input guys! Just let me trow this out to the Mk6 guys: My 2009 is a Mk5 and has the TSI motor, but the Mk6 GTI's that I have seen use a different Bosch ECM compared to my car. From what I have heard you need to dismantle the ECM to do a "performance flash", where I can flash mine by plugging into the OBD port. The tuners may have gotten around this by now.