Go Kart Newbie

Attachments

• 21O-VW_Golf_V_GTI.JPG
    21O-VW_Golf_V_GTI.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 7,613

Anders @ EVO

Go Kart Champion
Thats Evolution Motorsports (EVOMS) with the plastic intake! :biggrin:

similar intakes have been developed for the BMW M3 and the Porsche 996...the only problem is the filter in these style intakes has LESS surface area than stock, most of the time considerably less (996). On the BMWs people were dyno testing these intakes for a net LOSS in power.

Don't take my word for it, do a search for Groupe M intakes for either of these cars and you can see negative dyno results. From the looks of it the Groupe M intakes actually have a larger filter than this intake....

Here is a little story I like to tell some people: We had a MK4 Jetta GLI 1.8T at our shop that had Brand X intake on the car already installed. We reprogrammed the ECU with GIAC X+ file. Having done hundreds of these cars, we were confident in our file and the way the car would run. We took the car out for a test drive upon completion, and the car fell on its face at about 3000K RPM. We were stumped for quite a while. We provided a donor car to the customer because we couldn't quite figure it out....what was the problem? The intake system he had on the car used such a cheap/restrictive filter it was actually more of a restriction than the factory intake. The intake was causing a "golf ball at the end of a vaccuum" effect where the turbo inlet pipe was actually imploding under full boost from all the suction and the filter not being able to keep up. Just food for thought, you don't always get what you expect.

P.S. Brand X is an EXTREMELY large aftermarket tuner, this wasn't some Ebay intake system.

GTI2007

There's no filter in this CDA Airbox. It still uses the factory filter that sits in the engine hood. Here is a pic of how the CDA Airbox is working

Attachments

• Working-CDA.jpg
    Working-CDA.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 4,935

Accel

Rally Car Champion
If thats not a filter, what its that pink thing? Air Impeder? That dosnt look like a very effective design IMO, but then again, I'm no Fluid Dynamist.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Anders @ EVO said:
Thats Evolution Motorsports (EVOMS) with the plastic intake! :biggrin:

similar intakes have been developed for the BMW M3 and the Porsche 996...the only problem is the filter in these style intakes has LESS surface area than stock, most of the time considerably less (996). On the BMWs people were dyno testing these intakes for a net LOSS in power.

Don't take my word for it, do a search for Groupe M intakes for either of these cars and you can see negative dyno results. From the looks of it the Groupe M intakes actually have a larger filter than this intake....

Here is a little story I like to tell some people: We had a MK4 Jetta GLI 1.8T at our shop that had Brand X intake on the car already installed. We reprogrammed the ECU with GIAC X+ file. Having done hundreds of these cars, we were confident in our file and the way the car would run. We took the car out for a test drive upon completion, and the car fell on its face at about 3000K RPM. We were stumped for quite a while. We provided a donor car to the customer because we couldn't quite figure it out....what was the problem? The intake system he had on the car used such a cheap/restrictive filter it was actually more of a restriction than the factory intake. The intake was causing a "golf ball at the end of a vaccuum" effect where the turbo inlet pipe was actually imploding under full boost from all the suction and the filter not being able to keep up. Just food for thought, you don't always get what you expect.

P.S. Brand X is an EXTREMELY large aftermarket tuner, this wasn't some Ebay intake system.

YES! Ditto. Techtonics Tuning did several tests in the past with Brand-X's too and found some even lost HP. Techtonics determined that the stock box that the factory created with a best brand DROP-IN filter worked the best overall!

In my day I've seen custom stuff that is just looks (Bling), sux more HOT AIR in from the engine compartment, is more restrictive than stock and costs and outrageous amount for what you are purchasing.

I'll say it again... "If any of these people truly make claims, they should back it up with a full money back guarantee." If they don't you are as dumb as they are.

Spend your hard earned money somewhere else that will make a real diiference in performance:
Exhaust, chip, down-pipe, high-flow cat, less unsprung weight, etc.

Here endith the lesson.

GTI2007

The Carbon Dynamic Airbox is connected to an air intake in the front of the car through a black alloy ducting. Thanks to the dynamic air intake you have a true supercharging system that conveys cold air at a speed and capacity much bigger than with traditional systems. The airflow entering through the dynamic intake is still further accelerated due to the conical flow variator inside the carbon dynamic air box. Finally, dynamic overboosting, greater airflow, higher pressure and colder air are the elements assuring a considerable increase in engine performance in power and torque.

rdswcp

Go Kart Newbie
I have enjoyed the dissecting of the CDA and scientific discussion my post has brought to the forum. It’s been both enlightening and entertaining. :) Thanks everyone!

black2.0t

Drag Race Newbie
Accel said:
If thats not a filter, what its that pink thing? Air Impeder? That dosnt look like a very effective design IMO, but then again, I'm no Fluid Dynamist.

thats not a filter its material that catches small particles and dust fragments