GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Seat Recomendations

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Britax Römer, always use special seat for each period - from infant, to toodler up to child.

Tried cheaper producers like Maxicosi, Chicco, Joelz, Cybex and Römer rules

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Lol. Kids are definitely considering.

I have to turn off the water to my sink every morning before leaving. Otherwise come back to water flooding everywhere.
Ever since youngest daughter was 1 1/2, she would climb up on the bathtub, then sink, and turn on the water and sit there splashing everywhere.

Crazy thing is I started cutting the water off and every once in a while, I would forget and come home to water everywhere. So lesson is, when it comes to f'ing stuff up, kids don't give up.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Lol. Kids are definitely considering.

I have to turn off the water to my sink every morning before leaving. Otherwise come back to water flooding everywhere.
Ever since youngest daughter was 1 1/2, she would climb up on the bathtub, then sink, and turn on the water and sit there splashing everywhere.

Crazy thing is I started cutting the water off and every once in a while, I would forget and come home to water everywhere. So lesson is, when it comes to f'ing stuff up, kids don't give up.
Kids are pretty good at that. Yeah

fastest land mammal is a damn toddler after being asked “hey what’s in your mouth”

ninelives

Wascally Wabbit
Car(s)
'21 GTI
First off.. congrats. We have two Diono Radian 3RXT as someone else suggested here but I belong to a FB group for Canadians "Canadian Carseat Safety" and they throw a lot of shade at Diono, not for quality, but for difficulty in installing, incompatibility, etc. Based on the posts in that group, if I was buying a new car seat, I would look towards Britax since the technicians there recommend them so highly.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
just had our first 4 months ago. we're currently using the chicco keyfit 35 (newest model). base stays in car and seat is detachable and can be mounted to our Mockingbird (UppaBaby replica for half the price) with the chicco adapter. probably get a recaro convertible once the kid outgrows the chicco.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
First off.. congrats. We have two Diono Radian 3RXT as someone else suggested here but I belong to a FB group for Canadians "Canadian Carseat Safety" and they throw a lot of shade at Diono, not for quality, but for difficulty in installing, incompatibility, etc. Based on the posts in that group, if I was buying a new car seat, I would look towards Britax since the technicians there recommend them so highly.

I don’t want to be an ass, but what is hard with installing and what is it not compatible with?

Dameon

Go Kart Champion
I don’t want to be an ass, but what is hard with installing and what is it not compatible with?
Wife has a diono for our toddler seat. It’s really hard to get the seat harness to go tight when using the latch system. The buckle hits the base of the seat in a spot that makes it almost impossible to tighten that last 1/2” of slop. I ended up stealing a ratcheting strap from another car seat. She loved her clek until we left it in the garage and a mouse found some smashed up crackers

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Wife has a diono for our toddler seat. It’s really hard to get the seat harness to go tight when using the latch system. The buckle hits the base of the seat in a spot that makes it almost impossible to tighten that last 1/2” of slop. I ended up stealing a ratcheting strap from another car seat. She loved her clek until we left it in the garage and a mouse found some smashed up crackers
Are you using it rear facing? I will say that rear facing with the Diono is a huge mess. I'd recommend any bucket style seat for that phase and would really only recommend a Diono for forward facing. You can also just skip the LATCH setup altogether and just use the belt through the seat for support until they hit 65 pounds, when you'll ideally use the LATCH buckles just to secure the seat with the belt over the kid. Not really required to use the LATCH though at that point, it's more of a convenience thing of keeping the seat in place when there's no kid in it.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I’ve been sifting through my 6yo’s shit because he thought it would be a great idea to swallow the marble from Mousetrap on accident.
Weird coincidence. My six year old lost the green dude that goes into the bucket this weekend. If he ate that, I think we'd already be having issues. Hopefully it's not an oversteer condition.

Dameon

Go Kart Champion
Are you using it rear facing? I will say that rear facing with the Diono is a huge mess. I'd recommend any bucket style seat for that phase and would really only recommend a Diono for forward facing. You can also just skip the LATCH setup altogether and just use the belt through the seat for support until they hit 65 pounds, when you'll ideally use the LATCH buckles just to secure the seat with the belt over the kid. Not really required to use the LATCH though at that point, it's more of a convenience thing of keeping the seat in place when there's no kid in it.
It actually worked better rear facing. It’s on both my wagen and her Tiguan. Maybe I’ve just been spoiled by my recaro. Everyone who uses it says it’s the best seat they’ve ever used.

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Added second tablet holder for longer trips in order to satisfy both boys. Plus those Britax seats can be still mounted simultanously to my old mk1 which is huge advantage for me. (FYI: You guys having US cabriolets can have factory fitted 3-point rear seat belt, we in EU (incl. domestic market) can't.

seats.JPG

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I have a chicco keyfit 30 in the wife's car with an extra base in my mom's car

I have the chicco nextfit air in my car and it works great.

I like how much easier it is to get the convertible properly installed and tight. The strap system for the latch on the keyfit 30 base requires my strength and weight to be installed, 5'2 wifey can't get it tight enough on her own.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Keehs nailed it a few posts back, they're all plenty safe, so don't get hung up on what is safest. Definitely get something with a base that stays in the car for a newborn, preferably with a stroller the seat can click into. I have a Britax and really like it, also tried out a cheaper brand as my daughter got older; the biggest difference is ease of operation. The nicer stuff just works better; the belts tighten easier, adjusters are easier, come apart for cleaning easier, buckles operate better, you get the idea. All about what you want to spend and if that stuff matters to you.

The biggest downside to the infant carriers that click into a base is that your kid will outgrow them faster than a larger, fixed base, rear facing seat. This means you will either end up buying 3 seats to keep them rear facing longer or have to switch to front facing sooner, which isn't as safe.