GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Chat 2: The Place You Go When Plac ISN'T Considering a New Car

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
It's not like the V8 was lacking tq. I really REALLY liked the way the V8 car delivered power. I'm going to have to agree with Troy on this one, given the purpose, the new one is a let down compared to the old. But honestly, that's the story of the F30 v E90.

Same weight. Same power. More complication. What could go wrong? :thumbdown:

WHAT
THE
FUCK

:laugh:

New car better than old in every measurable way
1. Lighter (100lbs)
2. Way more powerful
3. More fuel efficient
4. Faster
5. Cheaper in some trims due to being fully loaded from the getgo.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
BMW is a TurBRO company now.

Dis.

The higher noise at 70mph is probably from the Active sound. Having rode in a new M3 it was fucking loud. Car is sweet, but compared to my 235 its not worth the extra 20-30k.

And you bring up an even better point. Why buy an M3 when the 235M exists?

WHAT
THE
FUCK

New car better than old in every measurable way
1. Lighter (100lbs) Not even
2. Way more powerful Eh, 50hp. NBD
3. More fuel efficient So what. becauseracecar
4. Faster Marginally
5. Cheaper in some trims due to being fully loaded from the getgo. Used e90 is still cheaper

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I'm looking at 4-door manual to 4-door manual because that's the only version I'd ever buy. Yeah the new auto might be faster than the old auto, but who fucking cares :lol:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2008-bmw-m3-sedan-short-take-road-test

http://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/m3

100 lbs lighter and 3 mph better trap but with the $8000 lightweight brakes and better tires... (oh yeah and more weight up front on the new one :lol:)

That could be some driver error too... The new engine is a fair amount faster those 8k brakes are literally only good for online forum bragging rights I'd never check that option.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Dis.

This is like me arguing that the rental ATS 2.5 is better than the ATS-V because its cheaper and older ... wtf.

At this point I think you guys are just trolling me.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
The higher noise at 70mph is probably from the Active sound. Having rode in a new M3 it was fucking loud. Car is sweet, but compared to my 235 its not worth the extra 20-30k.

This - also some motor pubs over here are calling into question getting an M4 as well. They rate the M235i very highly overall.

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion

I felt bad when I took my buddy for a ride in mine back to back with his. His is certainly faster, but it wasn't 50% faster especially on the corners. With JB4 setup right, I'm pretty sure I could reasonably hang with him, if I could find E85 locally.

Don't get me wrong, it is nicer, but when money factors into it I don't know if its better.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
That could be some driver error too... The new engine is a fair amount faster those 8k brakes are literally only good for online forum bragging rights I'd never check that option.

Lightweight rotors can measurably improve acceleration and helped to achieve that 100 lb weight reduction is why I mentioned them. The car would probably be a tenth slower and ~25 lbs heavier without them, hence my saying that the "400" lbs was really 75.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI

This is like me arguing that the rental ATS 2.5 is better than the ATS-V because its cheaper and older ... wtf.

At this point I think you guys are just trolling me.

Maybe a little.

It's all conjecture because I've never driven one. I was smitten with the e90, and I don't really see anything on paper that gets me more excited for the new one. After driving it on the track, the e90 didn't need to be more powerful. It didn't need more complication, technology, or better fuel economy. It honestly didn't even NEED to lose weight because it drove so well. It was apologetically unique and awesome in its own right. The new one was/is predictable, and in a way, that makes it boring. It also looks terrible. The e90 looked incredible.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I felt bad when I took my buddy for a ride in mine back to back with his. His is certainly faster, but it wasn't 50% faster especially on the corners. With JB4 setup right, I'm pretty sure I could reasonably hang with him, if I could find E85 locally.

Don't get me wrong, it is nicer, but when money factors into it I don't know if its better.

Well you're comparing stock to modded. Let's just throw a K04 GTI smoking your stock 235I in the mix. 0 sum game.

That said of course an M sport is 90% of an m3 if you manage to get an LSD and especially if you're comparing manual to manual at 70% of the price.

It is just uglier but hey to most ppl it is just a "BMW".

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
Well you're comparing stock to modded. Let's just throw a K04 GTI smoking your stock 235I in the mix. 0 sum game.

That said of course an M sport is 90% of an m3 if you manage to get an LSD and especially if you're comparing manual to manual at 70% of the price.

It is just uglier but hey to most ppl it is just a "BMW".

What I'm saying is, for $1500 I could essentially run close to the same power. Both cars are manual so its a reasonable comparison.

I want the LSD, but I don't think its worth $3k to me.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
What I'm saying is, for $1500 I could essentially run close to the same power. Both cars are manual so its a reasonable comparison.

I want the LSD, but I don't think its worth $3k to me.

K what about the same $1500 on an M3?

http://www.burgertuning.com/M3_M4_S55_JB4_BMW_performance_tuner.html

There is no way you'll put down 480 to the wheels with a tune