GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car broke down...

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Driving to Best Buy on the highway today I got about 15 minutes into my drive and my car starter to sputter when I was merging. I was going 60 in a 55 in the right lane the whole time. Driving normal. Not stepping on it at all at any point. All of a sudden. Huge clouds of white smoke started pouring out of my tail pipe.. Enough to where a car behind me started flashing his lights to let me know.

I pull over and the white smoke rolled over and it was everywhere. Pouring out of the tail pipe like crazy. I turn my car off for 5 minutes to look online to see what's going on. Tried starting it and clouds of smoke again poured out. Turned it off. Waited 10 minutes, ended up trying to start it again and it wouldn't turn over.

EPC and CEL flashing on the dash.

AAA comes picks me up and brings me to closest VW dealership. Harper VW in Knoxville TN. Got great reviews. The VW worker sits in the car tries to start it after 45 minutes from last start and it almost turned over but it was very quick sounding..

He says... not good. Cylinder heads need replacement, timing chain and a bunch of other things. He then said it will be most likely a $4,000 repair..............

I couldn't believe it. Still can't. I had to tell the guy to give me a minute so I can sit down and think. Man this is tough and I hope this doesn't happen to anyone. He's going to call me tomorrow morning to do a diagnostic on it to tell me what is wrong..

Side notes: I put in R8 coils, changed spark plugs, and had intake manifold replaced under warranty over a year ago..

2009 GTI

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Does this seem like a $4,000 repair?

Briggs253

Does this seem like a $4,000 repair?

For a timing chain that jumped causing this level of damage? Yes, I can see this being that expensive at a dealership.

Sorry to hear about this OP, that really sucks. It reminds me that I either need to get off my ass and do my timing belt (BPY engine) or pay someone to do it.

I'm older now and don't have access to a lift. Working off a concrete floor isn't as easy for me these days.

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
For a timing chain that jumped causing this level of damage? Yes, I can see this being that expensive at a dealership.

Sorry to hear about this OP, that really sucks. It reminds me that I either need to get off my ass and do my timing belt (BPY engine) or pay someone to do it.

I'm older now and don't have access to a lift. Working off a concrete floor isn't as easy for me these days.

Damn man. Crazy because the car only has 47k miles. I haven't even gotten on it in a while. Just goes to show you never know when your luck will run out with these tuned cars.

Worst comes to worst I know Island Works in NJ is a very trust worthy and reputable shop on the East Coast. I will end up taking it there to get my work done for probably half the price.

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
UPDATE:

Dealership called telling me it was only a fuel injector failure. Fixed for free under warranty.. Man am I feeling lucky today.

2 parts that ever needed fixing in my car happen to be under life time warranty! Intake manifold and fuel injector. Woo!

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Update to the newest revision on your cam chain tensioner. A 2009 TSI has the oldest revision of parts, this is a common and disastrous problem. It happened to me and it makes no difference in how you drive it / if it's tuned.

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Update to the newest revision on your cam chain tensioner. A 2009 TSI has the oldest revision of parts, this is a common and disastrous problem. It happened to me and it makes no difference in how you drive it / if it's tuned.

So I should be good now right?

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Did they replace that?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
There's guides online to DIY but I had mine done for $500 since I wasnt that comfortable at the time messing with timing components myself. $250 part kit from online and paid a local guy from a VW FB group who does the job for $250. A dealer would prob charge at least $1000 for this job from what ive seen quoted around.

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
They are replacing the fuel injector for free since they said it's under warranty still.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Im talking about the timing chain tensioner. Every TSI owner should get the newest revision because they can fail at any time.

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Im talking about the timing chain tensioner. Every TSI owner should get the newest revision because they can fail at any time.

Ah okay, got ya...

Update on my car. running great. fixed it all for free and did an oil and filter change for free.

Thanks Harper VW in Knoxville!

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Here we go again...

Highway drive for 20 mins. No problem. Get off highway EPC light flashes at me and then CEL turns on solid. No flashing.. turn off car start it up no problem.. I check to see what code it is.. picture below. Is this a serious problem? Dealership just did warranty work on my car less than a week ago. I hope they fix this problem.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
May have a wiring issue, there is a Tb/ TBs for that code in your model car.