GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can't get dsg out of park with dead battery

miamirice

Ready to race!
I search the manual- nothing. Searched the web- there is talk of pulling up the shift boot and some kind of manual switch you can move to release the lever from park. I can't find it. Anybody know about this?

You'd think he could have charged the battery a bit by now . . .

The googles suggest that if you lift the little console around the dsg shifter there is a little yellow lever or button thing "deep in the upper right" which you push to the left w/ finger to release the shifter.

miamirice

Ready to race!
did you turn the key to the "on" position then try moving it?

This is a well documented issue in many forums. It has nothing to do with steering wheel position...etc. it's a bizarre feature on this car that I don't agree with. The selenoid won't release without the motor running. So I understand in one TDI forum there was a yellow switch under the shift boot. I can't find it. If you have dsg, give it a try. My battery all charged now, no getting it out of park without engine running. Stupid design!

miamirice

Ready to race!
You'd think he could have charged the battery a bit by now . . .

The googles suggest that if you lift the little console around the dsg shifter there is a little yellow lever or button thing "deep in the upper right" which you push to the left w/ finger to release the shifter.

Yes, I too read this. No luck with mine. Very reassuring. There are posts of towing companies trashing these trannies when dealing with it. So I am trying to figure it out and having no luck.

obdboost

Ready to race!
Y just push the yellow tab in and shift the car in gear at the same time. It easy i do it all the time

miamirice

Ready to race!
Y just push the yellow tab in and shift the car in gear at the same time. It easy i do it all the time

If its that easy then mine must be faulty. I have even tried moving it with a screwdriver. The whole shifting unit will move side-to-side but it doesn't release.

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
If its that easy then mine must be faulty. I have even tried moving it with a screwdriver. The whole shifting unit will move side-to-side but it doesn't release.

Any update on this? Do you hear anything move when you press the manual release button?

obdboost

Ready to race!

Which way are u pushing it? You should be pushing it to the left and at the same time move the shifter. It can be tricky, it just easy for me since I do it all the time. I just use my finger

miamirice

Ready to race!
Which way are u pushing it? You should be pushing it to the left and at the same time move the shifter. It can be tricky, it just easy for me since I do it all the time. I just use my finger

I will monkey with it again but no luck. I push to the left with enough force to move the whole unit a bit while trying. I have done with key on, key off...no luck.

langer

i fix teefs
Bizarre, there's something wrong if you can't disengage the solenoid manually. I was able to do it with mine after I had pulled the ecu and battery.

miamirice

Ready to race!
I hope I am not suppose to disconnect the battery to get it out of park.

Albymk6

I search the manual- nothing. Searched the web- there is talk of pulling up the shift boot and some kind of manual switch you can move to release the lever from park. I can't find it. Anybody know about this?
Ok. This is a tough one but I have figured it out. Once you pull open the cover of the shifter you’ll see a yellow piece of plastic at the front of the shifter box. it’s a weird shape you can’t all of it without getting deep in there with a flash light. It has a little prong (which you also can’t see) attached to this little tongue of plastic (all of this is the same piece it’s just shaped weird). With your right hand feel for that little loose end and push that to the left (you won’t feel much if any resistance) and HOLD it there. Then, with your left hand, shift it to whatever gear you want. The key is the little yellow tab, pushing and holding it to the left. That little tab will only travel a half centimeter or so. Not much. Hope this helps. It was a massive pain in the butt figuring this out. Cheers

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
This is a build date specific function vehicles up to 02.2009– Press yellow plastic wedge from right to left.

Vehicles from 03.2009 onwards– Press yellow plastic wedge -arrow