GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

canon dslr help

ryan290707

static
Car(s)
2008 gti
Looking to buy my first dslr camera. Already decided on canon over nikon, but im between 3 cameras now: t2i, t3i, and 60d. I've had a chance to look at them all and mess around with them. I like the solid feel of the 60d, but i'm not sure if it's worth the extra money over the t3i/t2i? Recommendations? Thanks in advance.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Well, I believe the 60D is an older camera than the T3i. The 60D basically splits the difference between the T3i and the pricier 7D. It has a nicer body and some other cool features, and while I haven't personally used one, I don't think it's worth the extra money over the T3i. For the extra money you spend on it, you could get another nice lens, or just spend a little more and get the 7D.

I have the T3i myself with the standard 28-55mm kit lens. I really want the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 lens. I have the 50mm 1.8 lens as well. Feel free to check out my Flickr posted in my signature. Lenses obviously play a HUGE roll. I really love my T3i though with the battery grip I got off Amazon. It makes the whole camera a lot more stable like the larger 60D and the battery lasts a lot longer. The flip out screen is really nice too.

I shot with my dad's Sony A100 before this.

09vdubgti

Banned
Car(s)
mkV GTi
The main advantages of the 60D is the shutter speed so like if you want to use it for high speed shooting like at sports games it might be better for you. Iirc 60d goes as fast as 1/8000 and t2/3i do 1/4000...another advantage is the more autofocus points. The rest is pretty much just looks.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Matt when you shoot do you set your focus in manual or automatic? Im talking about the body not the lens.

Yeah, I shoot in AF. Normally Al FOCUS, where it'll automatically switch if the subject moves from one shot AF to Al SERVO.

What do you use?

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else
as much as i want the 60d, im leaning more towards the t3i. any major pros over the t2i?

Good move. Especially if it's your first dslr. I shot for 3-4 years with the rebel series (XTi, XSi) before moving onwards.

Bodies always change... glass hardly. Get the t3i or the t2i even and some good lenses. Shoot until you're very comfortable and when you get better to the point where the camera body is limiting you... that's when you get a better body.

I Am The Stig

Hey Now!
Car(s)
'09 Black Magic GTI
I went with the T3i as my first DSLR also. It has been great for when the wife wants to take a quick pic of the kid on auto, and has enough features that I am still having a blast learning all the things it can do.