GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can someone explain power outputs for a layman?

Turtle

Drag Racing Champion
I'm conused...according to VW stats the GTI is 147kw, but in a lot of the threads it seems stock (pre-chipping) it is really around 120kw. Is this right or I have I just misunderstood all the technobabble?

:iono:

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
They are talking about crank hp when they say 147kw. They are talking about HP to the wheels when they say 120kw. This is due to drivetrain loss.

L

lasledz

I believe the normal kW figures quoted for cars are kW at the flywheel. As indicated above this doesn't directly translate to power at the wheels due to losses in the system.

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
yeah all power figures quoted wether it be from the car company themselves or the tuners are all at the flywheel. Hence y you see some tuners claiming ridiculous amounts of power and torque for using there flash, and when you take it too a dyno and its way less they say well its drivetrain loss and it was hot and all the other garbage.

The GTI has 147kw at the flywheel, our GTI with DSG has 126kw at the wheels done on 2 different dynos so can guage that its fairly correct(as dynos are not a certain and figures from a dyno should be taken with a grain of salt and only for mod gains/losses).

There was a manual GTI there and he made 127kw, there was also a APR flashed GTI there although the flash was done last october and there is a new verison out now(unsure of differences though) he only made 132kw at the wheels at peak power but his midrange was about 10-20kw more which is were you spend most of your time so although it had only 6kw more at the top end it would of felt alot faster and would be alot faster and better too drive as the midrange was more powerful and more torque there.

SSS_Hoon