GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Camera storage

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
Recently I decided I wanted a hard case to store my camera and lenses. I had been using a canon backpack thing designed for storage and transport. Nothing too fancy but it worked.

I stumbled upon the Apache 3800 at Harbor Freight for a decent price of 40$. Its comparable to a Pelican 1450. Hard case is waterproof with customizable foam, of the pick-and-pull variety. Here's the layout I did, making sure I had 2 or 3 rows of foam between things when possible.

20210604_164827.jpg

Under my lens hoods I made room for my battery charger.

20210604_173729.jpg

Pretty basic setup and layout. Felt like sharing my setup in hope that someone else might find it useful or someone else had a similar thing going on and wanted to share.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I keep my camera gear in a camera backpack. Do you find this easier or better for transportation?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
I keep my camera gear in a camera backpack. Do you find this easier or better for transportation?
Have not yet transported, just did the arranging on Friday and it's been too hot to go outside for things like this. I suppose in the end it will be about what kind of transport you need. If you're doing a lot of walking to get your shots I imagine the backpack case would be better suited for the task. But most of my photography is automotive so I just need it to be able to put it in the car for short or long trips for shows/events without worrying about it when it slides around or has something hit it.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I'm still using a camera bag bought at K-Mart 40 years ago. It's had a hard life, holds the DSLR and two lenses and will likely outlive me.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
That’s a good hard case. Bought one recently while in Vegas to travel back with gear that needed to be in checked luggage. Very comparable to the Pelican offerings at a much more affordable cost.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
My camera either goes in my backpack, or on the floor behind my seat. However, I also try not to fuss too much with lenses; I usually either take my 35mm or my 16-80mm when I go out. The extras that I do take with me -- like a couple of filters and an extra battery -- all easily fit in my backpack or even my pockets if I'm wearing a jacket.

btw, I recently moved from Canon to Fuji and I've got some Canon lenses for sale ;)

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I've got a 40 year old Domke F2 bag that has been through the wars. It's great for my needs. I'm also a Fuji shooter Torga. I moved from Nikons after 45 years. When I'm out shooting I usually only take one or at most two lenses. A zoom & a prime. Since I shoot Fuji there are always at least two batteries in my pockets. Since I bought my X-H1 I may carry three, that thing eats batteries. The cameras ride on the floor behind my passenger seat.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I've got a 40 year old Domke F2 bag that has been through the wars. It's great for my needs. I'm also a Fuji shooter Torga. I moved from Nikons after 45 years. When I'm out shooting I usually only take one or at most two lenses. A zoom & a prime. Since I shoot Fuji there are always at least two batteries in my pockets. Since I bought my X-H1 I may carry three, that thing eats batteries. The cameras ride on the floor behind my passenger seat.
I've got an X-H1, too! Absolutely love the ergonomics. My friend let me borrow his X-T4 for a weekend -- which is what sold me on Fuji -- but I found the grip lacking. Love the chunkiness of this body -- feels like I can't hurt it. I had it out in a downpour last weekend and I was able to just keep shooting thanks to the water resistance.
Yeah, that thing just tears through batteries, it's crazy. Before, the only time I brought an extra battery with me was if I went camping. Now, I always have a spare on me. I've got the vertical grip for it too, but I don't use it much.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I've thought about picking up a vertical grip, but I doubt I'd use it. Really am enjoying the X-H1, I picked it up used a few months ago. WR is water resistant not water proof. ;)

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I've thought about picking up a vertical grip, but I doubt I'd use it. Really am enjoying the X-H1, I picked it up used a few months ago. WR is water resistant not water proof. ;)
Oh yeah, for sure. When I took the lens off, there was a small amount of moisture on the metal portion of the mount, but nothing crazy. My 16-80 is WR, but my 35 is not.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Thanks! I have only visited fujixweekly so far.

The 35/1.4 isn't waterproof, but it can certainly stand up to a little bit of moisture. My friend had his out in the snow while we walked around one day. It got snowed on plenty and nothing bad happened.
I still won't take too many risks, though.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Truth be told I never worried about WR cameras & lenses in the past. Got them wet & never had an issue. I'm not likely to get them wet these days. If it's raining I'm not likely to be outside. One of the things that happens when you reach a certain age.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Truth be told I never worried about WR cameras & lenses in the past. Got them wet & never had an issue. I'm not likely to get them wet these days. If it's raining I'm not likely to be outside. One of the things that happens when you reach a certain age.
I live in the Pacific Northwest, so I've always gotta be ready for rain. 4/5, it's just a light mist and nothing to really worry about, especially if your gear is WR. The downpour I mentioned was very atypical and the only reason I was out in it was because I was hiking and it was a good 30-45 min trudge in decent rain to get back to my car.