GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cam follower trashed at 90k now what? Revision B cam :(

GTI@UAE

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the same problem a short time back (a hole in my follower), I replaced the follower and am driving the car since then. I only had one fuel cut since then besides that the car runs strong but I still want to remove the valve cover to check that everything is ok but mainly really is to remove the cam follower piece that is in there still.

Attachments

• Cam follower.jpg
    Cam follower.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,507

matteo716

Muddy GTI guy
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Can the piece usually be found easily?

i was told that if youre lucky they wont hit anything on their way to the oil filter....

i wasnt that luck as i haven't found any of the pieces in my last 2 oil changes.

makes me wonder where they stuck themselves :(

thechromecoyote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
If you weren't getting fuel cuts and any DTCs, then the fuel pump is probably fine for now.

Replace the follower and check it at 5k increments to observe the wear. If the wear is significant, than the cam lobe may be scored.

Consider getting a new HPFP just for good measure. They are available pretty cheap on the forums.

REMEMBER !!! Do NOT over tighten the HPFP bolts. The aluminum housing is very fragile.

Some have said that the oil pickup strainer was full of little shards of cam follower after a failure like that.

You may or may not have that. You'd have to drop the pan to find out.

Situation sucks. Install a magnetic drain plug at a minimum. You might be ok. i don't know.

oh, and vacuum line is vacuum line. vw chooses to use hard line that are great until they break. any vacuum line the same ID should work.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
I'd guess that the cam lobe is toast too.. that will be a bitch job to get done.

Try running oil with more zddp in it.. that will help prevent metal on metal wear for flat tappet cam followers / lifters

Ryanlogic

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd guess that the cam lobe is toast too.. that will be a bitch job to get done.

Try running oil with more zddp in it.. that will help prevent metal on metal wear for flat tappet cam followers / lifters

Do you think the fact that I have the harder b revision cam that I might be OK?

I'm guessing that's what VW thinks because they don't seem to have any desire to fix it like they did on all the other FSI engines.

It irks me that my engine isn't covered by the warranty extension.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
were you able to see the the cam lobe when you took the follower out? it should be visible in there, but I would assume it's damaged. It's harder in general, but if it's had jagged metal grinding over it like that, It very well could be damaged

Ryanlogic

Passed Driver's Ed
were you able to see the the cam lobe when you took the follower out? it should be visible in there, but I would assume it's damaged. It's harder in general, but if it's had jagged metal grinding over it like that, It very well could be damaged

Yea I saw it, but at the time I didn't know what I was looking for, I just remember it was shiny :( but it looked smooth to me.

At the time I was just desperately hoping to see the little button piece of metal missing for the follower laying in the socket. Of course it wasn't.

When all this happened I thought it was covered so I immediately called the dealership to schedule an appointment... And that's when it all started sucking lol. By the time I had been on the phone for an hour, I had to go to work. I just put the new follower in and re installed the fuel pump. That's when I saw the cracked vacuum hose and Broke the coolant distributor.

I'm going to bring it somewhere and have it looked at as soon as I get the vacuum line fixed.

I'm torn between bringing it to the dealer and trying to find another mechanic in the tampa area who can actually asses and diagnose the issue.

The dealer is gonna rape my wallet but at least they will warranty the work. I'd hate to decide to keep the car, fix it.....and then have the chain jump or have that little missing piece find its way somewhere it shouldn't be and cause a total engine failure. But at least I know that with the dealership I would probably get a new engine through VW at that point.

VW has me on file as a very persistent and un satisfied customer lol, one more incident and I would be calling lawyers.