GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cam Cover/Cradle Reseal && Catch Can Setup

akdarsh

Car(s)
2007 GTI
I have a 2007 MkV GTI, 2.0T FSI, BPY engine code leaking a decent amount of oiI from the cam girdle/cam cover. See picture. I'm starting to see a decent amount of oil under the car, my belief is that the oil is falling down the backside of the engine, since it's tilted towards the cabin of the car.

Some background: I've had this problem ever since I bought the car a couple months ago. The previous owner replace cam followers, camshafts, some seals, HPFP 9 months ago, so the cam cover had to have been resealed then, and it's already leaking. Not looking to spend $1100 to reseal something that was done 9 months ago. I had isolated the leakages to a bad PCV system, went through 3 of them in one month, so I rigged a catch can with a PCV adapter plate...leaking slowed a bit, but the adapter plate wasn't sitting flush with the valve cover. Took a straightedge to it and the plastic POS valve cover warped so it wasn't fitting right.

Just put a new valve cover on and it's leaking even more! The cam girdle area no longer has green sealant mixed in with the oil, it's just straight up brown oil (I've driven almost 2400 miles in the last 2 months). My theory is all this driving has caused the green sealant to ooze out and mix with the oil, so there isn't enough sealant inside the cam girdle to hold the pressurized oil behind it. It might be time to go in and reseal this SOB.

Does anyone know DIY to reseal the cam girdle? Do I need to detension the timing chain? Remove the cam bearings and need a cam lock tool? I've scoured the internet and all I can find are vids/forums for 2.0t TSI engines, not for the FSI. Any input is appreciated.
Also looking to confirm my catch can setup. Upper arrow (blue) is inlet to the catch can, lower arrow (red) is outlet from the catch can, let me know if I've got it backwards, don't think I do. If you zoom in you can see that the oil seepage is completely brown/amber, no green sealant mixed in like the other picture from when I bought the car.

Attachments

• Inked20200629_073732_LI.jpg
    Inked20200629_073732_LI.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 231
  • 20200712_200833.jpg
    20200712_200833.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 148
  • 20200507_182837.jpg
    20200507_182837.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 236
Last edited: