GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cam Chain Housing Leak

ShawnDread

I have a 2006 mkv gti with the bpy engine. I’ve developed a large oil leak that seems to be coming from the cam chain housing.

I plan to replace the seal and am wondering if I should do other preventative maintenance while I have the housing off, such as the chain tensioner or the oil control seals.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I know it's spendy, but if the chain and tensioner have never been changed, I would do the full VVT job while the cover is removed.
Replace;
  • Chain
  • Tensioner
  • Cam Adjuster/Phaser - the option; if the sprocket and the inner race where the three rings go are fine, is to remove the phaser's cover and clean the inside. Looks like fun;
  • Three Oil Control Rings (replace the cover carefully so the rings do not break going back into the phaser)

To be sure the intake cam can go on;
Inspect the intake cam's tri-lobe and its sprocket for wear.
Just do a quick visual looking for wear on the sides of the teeth and for roller distortion;
chain on sprocket wear.png

You can also compare by checking its chain-to-sprocket play between the sprocket on the new phaser and then compare to the intake cam's sprocket. With chain on each sprocket just tug back and forth...
achasidfng.png

Remember to clean the N205 oil flow screen in the edge of the cover, and do not block its opening by using sealant ↓
VVT screen.jpg

Last edited: