GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

California Smog Help: What is the E.O. CARB number for Magnaflow cats?

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
Hey guys,

Tried to get smogged today and the two shops I went to did a full visual underneath the car.

My intake has a CARB sticker with the "D-XX-X" number stamped on it, but they couldn't see anything stamped on my 42DD turboback.

My exhaust is 42DD and their website says they use a Magnaflow CA cat.

What is the E.O. number I need to use?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
D-193-89 - mine is currently off car so made easy to take pic for you.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
What's the internal diameter of this? I'm wondering how I'd make this fit on my catless 3" downpipe.

3in internal diameter. Take it to a muffler shop and have modify your downoipie

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
What's the internal diameter of this? I'm wondering how I'd make this fit on my catless 3" downpipe.

3in internal diameter. Take it to a muffler shop and have them modify your downoipie

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Won't the downpipe still be illegal even if thew new downpipe has a "CA" cat? You remove the first cat right after the turbo by installing an aftermarket dp. I dont think any downpipe has a carb EO#.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Won't the downpipe still be illegal even if thew new downpipe has a "CA" cat? You remove the first cat right after the turbo by installing an aftermarket dp. I dont think any downpipe has a carb EO#.

You are correct. There are no CARB approved aftermarket cats available for our cars. Only an unaltered stock downpipe is legal. Not every inspector even looks under the car, though technically it is part of the inspection process. If they don't look and your ODBII emissions stuff passes then you can get by with any kind of downpipe... if they don't look or don't care. The Magnaflow cat used on the 42DD is Calif approved for use on few cars just no ours.

You can't buy a general CA cat. Each model cat has to be specifically approved for use on a particular model of car. To get a CARB number for our car someone would have to pay big bucks to have it go through state testing. Since there is almost no market for the product, nobody is going to waste money on that process.