GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

cabin air filter?

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Do you really need the cabin air filter. My AC was getting stinky so I pulled the filter and its fine now. Seems to work better w/o filter as well.
Is it needed??

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
ill likely order one, but will drive w/o for a little while till comes in. Mine is filled with crap.

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
its $20 from a dealer, takes 2 seconds to install. I wouldn't go long without one.

my interior always smells like butts and cleaned leather and it helps to keep the incoming air particle free, since my ass does most of the damage.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Just change it twice a year and you will be a happy camper!

It's in there for a reason.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Mine was really bad. 37k- never changed it before. Used AC today and thought dead animal was in the car. Took filter out and it smelled like crap and stuff is falling out of it.
Ill order a new one!
Thanks

dsparks91

power to the people
Car(s)
06 gti
i work at VW and change these out all the time.
some are almost new......
...some i ask myself wtf is that?

its easy to replace too

mlb_tun

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLK MKV GTsport TDI
a friend told me about spray it with some perfum before installing it and ur car will smell nice for some time, didnt try it yet

adamgti

Trust me, I'm an engineer
Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4 dr
they're also charcoal activated which i guess helps with smells? i dunno, seems nasty to not replace it after the way mine looks when i take it out. i replace it every 20k, seems to be a good interval

CW08DSG

I don't care.
Car(s)
08 GTI 2dr DSG
I changed mine a couple of weeks ago. I don't think it had ever been changed. Picked up a replacement at a local O'Reilly's for about $18. About a 5 minute job, dramatically helped the stale odor I was getting when initially turning on the AC.

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
It definitely traps a LOT of particles. It's amazing the crap that comes out of the filter housing. FYI I believe our filters are VIN specific. Same size and shape, seems to be a different carbon level in each. Not sure if that would affect smell.

If you go without one, just think that all that same crap that it caught, is going to be floating around as you drive. Have kids? Old people in your car? One of those girlfriends who is ALWAYS effing sick?

-FF