GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CA emissions

Bulldugg

Passed Driver's Ed
I am feeling severely cheated. I have a low mileage Mk5 GTI that is itching for upgrades. I want to go stage 3 with all the fixins! , but Ca says “ No mods , no way!”.
Why can’t I do myself what Audi does to the RS3 from the factory. It’s been proven multiple times that emissions aren’t adversely effected by upgrades if done right. This damn CARB crap makes getting any performance part approved too expensive for tuners.
I have been referred to “ a guy” by some porsche owners that says my car will definitely pass his smog check, but the $$$$$$ is wow! ( covering his ass ). Living in the “take care of the Earth” is great, but damn it, I want to go fast!
Done bitchin’, you will now be returned to your regularly scheduled thread.......,

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
If by stage 3 you mean K04 you can still pass emissions with it and a bit of work every 2 years. I ran K04 for many years passed smog the last 2 times. There are some other past discussions on how to pass in CA.

My car was 335whp and it moved quite well. The cost of doing this and getting the results is not inexpensive. You will need about 5 grand set aside for parts. Add another 2 grand if you do not plan on doing your own work. I am suggesting the use of all top quality gear. You can buy cheaper parts but you will get what you pay for and I recommend staying with top of the line stuff for top of the line performance and/or reliability. Also keep in mind this car is going to have almost twice the power of stock and brakes will not feel adequate, things like wheel hop will be exaggerated, to take advantage of the power you will want to make changes to suspension, brakes and tires. Also because your car is essentially one wheel drive an LSD is HUGE benefit if you have KO4 because it is hard to put the power down without it. That is another 2K.

K04 kit
HPFP fuel pump
Upgraded intercooler (APR, Wagner, Unitronic)
S3 fuel injectors
3in TB exhaust
Hi Flow intake
Hi Flow air charge pipes (2)
Tune

Bulldugg

Passed Driver's Ed
If by stage 3 you mean K04 you can still pass emissions with it and a bit of work every 2 years. I ran K04 for many years passed smog the last 2 times. There are some other past discussions on how to pass in CA.

My car was 335whp and it moved quite well. The cost of doing this and getting the results is not inexpensive. You will need about 5 grand set aside for parts. Add another 2 grand if you do not plan on doing your own work. I am suggesting the use of all top quality gear. You can buy cheaper parts but you will get what you pay for and I recommend staying with top of the line stuff for top of the line performance and/or reliability. Also keep in mind this car is going to have almost twice the power of stock and brakes will not feel adequate, things like wheel hop will be exaggerated, to take advantage of the power you will want to make changes to suspension, brakes and tires. Also because your car is essentially one wheel drive an LSD is HUGE benefit if you have KO4 because it is hard to put the power down without it. That is another 2K.

K04 kit
HPFP fuel pump
Upgraded intercooler (APR, Wagner, Unitronic)
S3 fuel injectors
3in TB exhaust
Hi Flow intake
Hi Flow air charge pipes (2)
Tune
Thx for response. I have been lucky enough to find many low mileage/use pieces. Only thing I haven’t purchased is a turbo and LSD. I am into upgrades for less than $1000.
Apr catted/down pipe (3000 mi)for $400
APR hpfp (new) $100
CTS CAI $50
Unitronic stage 2+ for $300 (shop owed me).
R32 intercooler $115
So I think I have done o.k.
The LSD will hopefully show up soon in a totalled R32 DSG.
Haven’t decided which turbo set up to go with.
A friend’s family has property in a CA zip code that is smog exempt, so might “rent” a room to allow registration there.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Thx for response. I have been lucky enough to find many low mileage/use pieces. Only thing I haven’t purchased is a turbo and LSD. I am into upgrades for less than $1000.
Apr catted/down pipe (3000 mi)for $400
APR hpfp (new) $100
CTS CAI $50
Unitronic stage 2+ for $300 (shop owed me).
R32 intercooler $115
So I think I have done o.k.
The LSD will hopefully show up soon in a totalled R32 DSG.
Haven’t decided which turbo set up to go with.
A friend’s family has property in a CA zip code that is smog exempt, so might “rent” a room to allow registration there.

Wow - a new APR hpfp for 100 bucks, that is more like a gift since they cost nearly a grand new.

You have done well indeed!

If you can get residence established in one of those exempt zip codes that would be the ticket.

Bulldugg

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow - a new APR hpfp for 100 bucks, that is more like a gift since they cost nearly a grand new.

You have done well indeed!

If you can get residence established in one of those exempt zip codes that would be the ticket.
Yeah, I had to hold back the excitement in front of the seller. They had three! 1 new and two rebuilds.Thought about buying the other two and reselling to recoup some of my money. Weird thing about APR, I called them and they don’t keep any records of rebuilds. Was told that is up to customer to keep reciept. In my opinion kind of shabby records keeping.
Was looking at the HPA K04 hybrid. Not too much hp ( read that the AXX motor doesn’t respond well when over done) just enough. After a stage 3 B5S4, I need a little more “that was fun” and a little less “ Damn it broke something else”!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Yeah, I had to hold back the excitement in front of the seller. They had three! 1 new and two rebuilds.Thought about buying the other two and reselling to recoup some of my money. Weird thing about APR, I called them and they don’t keep any records of rebuilds. Was told that is up to customer to keep reciept. In my opinion kind of shabby records keeping.
Was looking at the HPA K04 hybrid. Not too much hp ( read that the AXX motor doesn’t respond well when over done) just enough. After a stage 3 B5S4, I need a little more “that was fun” and a little less “ Damn it broke something else”!

Stay plain K04 and you will have a solid experience, the HPA kit for the MKV seems solid and well priced as you can get turbo, some install bits, tune and their install tool so you can install the tune yourself for 2400. Just stay away from the HPA intake manifold, not necessary and will detract from K04 potential. I run it with a larger turbo EFR 7163 and its fine but too much for the K04