GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bye bye GTI, hello BMW 135is ...

hooligan74

Ready to race!
Front wheel drive and underwhelming performance. I guess you can say that I am suffering from WRX withdrawal. Unfortunately I had to give the WRX up due to problems with my left knee and I am still having a hard time with that.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

I don't understand folks bitching about the performance of the GTI. You knew it was 200hp and FWD right? If so, what did you expect?

I think my GTI is plenty fun to drive - before you start up again with the WRX withdrawal, I owned a '98 OBS that I did a JDM STi Ver 3 swap into with a turbo-back ScoobySport exhaust.

If all you're looking for is straight line speed - get a Mustang.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I don't understand folks bitching about the performance of the GTI. You knew it was 200hp and FWD right? If so, what did you expect?

I think my GTI is plenty fun to drive - before you start up again with the WRX withdrawal, I owned a '98 OBS that I did a JDM STi Ver 3 swap into with a turbo-back ScoobySport exhaust.

If all you're looking for is straight line speed - get a Mustang.

I already owned a 2006 mustang gt and it was one big heaping pile of junk. While they may have improved some things, one thing hasn't changed. There is still a circle drawn around the problem and it is highlighted in blue!

But I digress. Rather than complaining about yet another wrong car choice, I'll make the best of it. It's a nice commuter car with an awesome interior. As long as I look at it that way, I purchased exactly what I needed.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
I already owned a 2006 mustang gt and it was one big heaping pile of junk. While they may have improved some things, one thing hasn't changed. There is still a circle drawn around the problem and it is highlighted in blue!

But I digress. Rather than complaining about yet another wrong car choice, I'll make the best of it. It's a nice commuter car with an awesome interior. As long as I look at it that way, I purchased exactly what I needed.

:clap:

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
There is still a circle drawn around the problem and it is highlighted in blue!

Sorry to hear you didn't make any progress by buying a GTI then.

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI
It was the other car that I wanted to drive but they didn't have any in the whole state when I was ready to buy. I regret NOT driving to Houston!

The Mitsu dealers regret it too since their MR's sit on the lot forever here in town, cos noone in Houston, except sadomasochists, can tolerate that car on a daily basis.

And the only suckers who buy WRXs here are the visually impaired and who own a gas station.

Last edited:

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI

you live in freakin Lafayette man... you need a rwd chest thumper that hauls in a straight line. Doesn't matter to you if the car is tinny or hollow feeling like either compact Mitsus or Subies

I fear the GTI is lost on you.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
you live in freakin Lafayette man... you need a rwd chest thumper that hauls in a straight line. Doesn't matter to you if the car is tinny or hollow feeling like either compact Mitsus or Subies

Sorry, I happened to find the WRX more fun to drive. But that's kind of pointless since my left knee is FUBAR and I can no longer drive a manual. I also don't trust the new iteration of the WRX with a CVT. Heck, that even kept me from considering a Forester XT.

I fear the GTI is lost on you.

So you mean to tell me that the GTI is not just an entry level luxury car that happens to make a great commuter vehicle? It's perfect for zipping around in traffic, gets decent fuel economy, and is easy to park. I also find it very practical now that the rear head rests are gone and the back seats are way easier to fold down. That's what sold me on the vehicle, despite the fact that I didn't find it as exciting to drive as the various magazines said it was.

Besides, I'm getting old and there is more to life than going fast. My bigger problem with the car is not the car itself... The major issue is having a knee problem that impacted my choice in automobile. In other words, knowing that I can never have another manual again as a daily driver was the REAL issue!:(

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI
well, Happy Thanksgiving! You'll figure this out eventually. Time to eat.

Sorry, I happened to find the WRX more fun to drive. But that's kind of pointless since my left knee is FUBAR and I can no longer drive a manual. I also don't trust the new iteration of the WRX with a CVT. Heck, that even kept me from considering a Forester XT.

So you mean to tell me that the GTI is not just an entry level luxury car that happens to make a great commuter vehicle? It's perfect for zipping around in traffic, gets decent fuel economy, and is easy to park. I also find it very practical now that the rear head rests are gone and the back seats are way easier to fold down. That's what sold me on the vehicle, despite the fact that I didn't find it as exciting to drive as the various magazines said it was.

Besides, I'm getting old and there is more to life than going fast. My bigger problem with the car is not the car itself... The major issue is having a knee problem that impacted my choice in automobile. In other words, knowing that I can never have another manual again as a daily driver was the REAL issue!:(

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
So you mean to tell me that the GTI is not just an entry level luxury car that happens to make a great commuter vehicle?
Nope. It's just a hopped up golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Ahh, so now I see why it was compared to the WRX and STI. They were all turbocharged econoboxes! It had nothing to do with 0 to 60 times or 1/4 mile times. In fact, I remember a comparison on fifth gear where they hot lapped the GTI and WRX versus doing the lap from a dead stop. Now I finally understand why these cars were commonly cross shopped.