GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying Golf GTI 2008

Chapin GTI

Hi, i´m new to the forum and i´m interested in buying a Golf GTI. I found a basically new GTI 2008 fully loaded (candy white, 2dr, leather, DSG, etc.) with only 10k kms. The owner used it only on weekends along other "toys" he has. I´ve been doing some research on the FSI engine and i´m hesitant because of the issue it has (PCV, fuel pump, etc.). Should i really be worried and skip it, or due to the low kms it shouldn´t give me any issues in the next couple of years? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thks.

Chapin GTI

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Alot of the issues have recalls and extended warranty's now. I just had 3 recalls done today. VW is a love hate thing.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't worry about some issues like the PCV and DV failures. Those are fairly rare and cheap to replace when it does happen. To my knowledge both will only happen when tuned (Correct me if Im wrong someone). The fuel pump issues that you are hearing about probably has to do with fuel cuts that people are having at Stage 2 (Downpipe and Tune), along with this, the FSI engine has a very weak cam follower which will also cause things like fuel cuts and if tuned I would check those every 5K-10K.

Im at 66K miles, Stage 2 for 10K on the Stock Cam follower, Stock PCV, and Stock fuel pump. No issues so far, only had to replace the Diverter valve to a newer revision which was under warrenty so it was free of charge.

I wouldn't let these possible faults offset you from this car, it's a really fun and quick car but if your looking for a true performance car skip this and just get a WRX/EVO/5.0/135 etc.

Good Luck!

Chapin GTI

Thanks Goingnowherefast. That´s what i thought. The car is a real blast to drive.. more than my previous GTI (MKIV with 1.8T engine). Hopefully i will rejoin the GTI family sooner than later. If the deal goes through, i will be posting pictures. Cheers!!