GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying an '08 GTI - Is it a Good Deal?

johnb5224

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forum and looking to purchase my first GTI. I found an '08 one owner Mk V with just under 26,000 miles. It has the FSI engine and a DSG transmission. The mechatronics unit has been replaced, clean CARFAX, and all maintenance was done at the dealer. I'm paying $15k for it from a private seller. I thought it was a pretty good deal. What do you guys think? Any suggestions/tips on what to do when I first get it? Thanks!

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Buy mine for 14.5k- 07 6spd. 49k. Looks new because I never drive it. Nice mods.

and yes thats a good deal if its in good shape.. link to the car?

johnb5224

Passed Driver's Ed
It's in great shape. I like it because it hasn't been modded and it seems like the current owner takes good care of it.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Its nice. Wouldnt be my first color choice, but my wife had a TR golf. Buy mine.....lol. Not even sure if Im selling it, but would consider it.

Mods are OK as long as they were good. Mine has APR stage 1-- you will want this. Its 599 on sale. H&R sports and koni's- Almost 1000 with install. You will want to lower it. Ive also done all the needed upgrades to the PCV and Rev D dv. I have a few other minor items as well

johnb5224

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not a huge fan of the red either but it's growing on me. Yours sounds nice, but Connecticut is kind of far away for me lol. Thanks for the tips though. Eventually I may do the APR stage 1, but that'll be on down the road.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Make sure you have a inspection if you not sure how to make sure its never been hit. Check for stickers when you open the doors,hatch, hood. 9/10 when a shop repairs a car they forget to buy the factory stickers.

and CT isnt too far. I drive about 300 miles a day in my work car. lol just hit 30,000 today on a 2012.

johnb5224

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the tip and for being helpful in general. Hopefully I'll be getting the car this week sometime. I'm pretty excited since I've been looking at getting a GTI for a while now.

johnb5224

Passed Driver's Ed
I currently drive a Jeep Cherokee so it'll be a BIG difference lol. I'm still debating whether or not to keep the Jeep once I get the GTI. How are GTIs in the snow? Would it be worth it to keep both? Winters are pretty mild here in southern PA but we still get some snow...

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
It was pretty decent in the snow. Ive heard with snow tires they can be good. You can find snow wheels pretty easy on here.

SMRGTI

Reefur Madness
Car(s)
MKVGTI
Can't go wrong with the low mileage and price. Lower than kbb. Go for it!