GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying 2009 GTI

GOMAB257

Newbie here...

I spotted a 2009 GTI on Carmax with 13k miles for $19k. It will cost roughly $850 to have it shipped, so I am looking at roughly $20k. I really wanted a 4-door, but for the price and mileage, I think this is a good deal.

That said, I am new to VW, so is this in fact a good deal? Do these models have mechanical issues (I read some posts about the automatic transmission, etc.). Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car...i=0&Ep=mykmx:save car:page&zip=77477&AZ=77034

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 GTI DSG
Price isn't terrible. Maybe a little high. Car prices vary by region though. I paid 18000 for my 09 with 19k on it.

GOMAB257

Yeah that's what I figured. The low mile GTIs in the Houston area are all over $20k, while in the Northeast, they are between $16k and 19k. I just hate that I have to spend $850 to have it shipped and when it gets here it is not in good shape as pictured.

Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yeah that's what I figured. The low mile GTIs in the Houston area are all over $20k, while in the Northeast, they are between $16k and 19k. I just hate that I have to spend $850 to have it shipped and when it gets here it is not in good shape as pictured.

Read your sale contract and see what kind of recourse you have if there is some misrepresentation in the condition of the vehicle. Because that is illegal.

Car(s)
2008 GTI
As with any car there is maintenance. This car is a PCV nightmare, but there are minimizing solutions like cans and plates, or complete solutions like valve scrubbing. Every car has its problems and the GTI is not devoid of this, but I love my FSI. I can't imagine having another.

GOMAB257

Pardon my ignorance, but can you please elaborate on your statement "This car is a PCV nightmare, but there are minimizing solutions like cans and plates, or complete solutions like valve scrubbing"? I am new to the forum and VW terminology.

Midnight00SE

Mr. Othy
'09 should have the TSI motor, which means most of the "problems" that were present on the older FSI motors, are not on the '09 you're looking at.

Car(s)
2008 GTI
'09 should have the TSI motor, which means most of the "problems" that were present on the older FSI motors, are not on the '09 you're looking at.

This^^^

Car(s)
Subaru
Pardon my ignorance, but can you please elaborate on your statement "This car is a PCV nightmare, but there are minimizing solutions like cans and plates, or complete solutions like valve scrubbing"? I am new to the forum and VW terminology.

pcv system isnt a good system but if it goes bad you can either by i newer revision that vw came up with that kind of fixes it or just get a plate or catch can. i dont know what the newer revision cost but im guessing maybe $50, a plate is $100, and a catch can will be about $200-$500 depending on the size of the can and company you go with. the pcv isnt anything to worry about though.

one thing that might give you trouble is the dv (diverter valve, blow off valve the recirculates the air instead of just dumping it into the atmosphere). the rev c dv has a rubber diaphram in it that can rip, and buying a 2010-2011 has a rev g dv that is almost the exact same as a rev c, but 2011.5 and newer got the rev d dv. you prolly wont have problems out of the dv until you tune it (which i recommend), but if the dv does rip, then just buy a rev d ($70) and you almost wont need to ever worry about it again.

the tsi has a timing chain instead of a timing belt like the fsi, you dont need to worry about a cam follower like the fsi, the turbo is more efficient in the tsi, the gtis with the tsi sit about an 1" lower, the tsi has a better flapper in the intake manifold so changing to a bigger turbo would give you better hp number than the fsi (well at least with the k04 and gt28 turbos, but im sure the tsi will soon start to produce higher hp numbers like the fsi), and the internals in the tsi are a little better.

i hope that helps. i tried to explain things. if you do buy this gti, just be sure to come back on here and learn things about the car. like others said, all cars have their problems and the tsis problems are minimal compared to the fsi. just the pcv, and dv. the dsg is really strong, so i wouldnt worry about that. good luck

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
$20K for a 2009? Better off buying a 2010. I paid $14K for my 2008.5 with 28K on the ODOM. Granted, it was a private seller and I had to fly to Baltimore to get it, but nevertheless it was worth the price.

As for the TSI engine, you'll find that Golfmkv is almost purely an FSI forum. Since the TSI builds didnt started until April or May 2008, very very few have the TSI on the MKV platform. If you're looking for stuff other than power train, golfmkv is where its at, otherwise, bounce on over to golfmk6.com for powertrain upgrades, we have quite the list of TSI mods.

As for the TSI engine here are a few differences across the platform. Bear in mind, its the same PQ35 floor comp unit and bulkhead as the FSI, but an entirely different drivetrain:
- Revamped Engine: Internals, fueling system, timing chain, intake manifold, etc. etc.

- IHI VTR501 turbo instead of the Borg Warner KKK-K03 compressor in the FSI. IHI Provides more midrange power, but falls on its face quicker than the K03.

- Despite what has been said, the PCV system is actually quite robust, however, there is an oil starvation issue when tracking these motors. Still, it does not guzzle the amount of oil that the FSI does. I have stretched some serious limits on the street with my K04 and I still have not experienced the issue.

- The TSI 6MT clutch is weak as balls....Stage 1 levels are ok for it, but beyond that, you're looking to upgrade the plate at least.

- The TSI motor is lighter than the FSI, so new springs were redesigned for the suspension bringing the overall ride height closer to Euro spec rather than the original DOT U.S spec. I personally have MK6 Driver Gear springs to bring that spec even closer.

- The fueling system in this engine is BEAST. No HPFP on into the GT28 power levels. Injectors must be upgraded by GT30 Big Turbo levels, but no fuel pump development yet to get huge numbers off the TSI platform.

- As mentioned some TSI's came with the REV G diaphragm DV valve. Upgrade to the REV D or REV C piston type.

- Oil changes are beyond easy with this motor since the oil filter is located on top of the motor. Take roughly 15mins now.

- Two engine codes, CBFA and CCTA. Pray you get a CCTA because the CBFA can get bothersome and mal-tempered. Nothing that a little extra attention cant do, but having the SAI pump and the 02 sensor on the turbo itself get's tiresome when modifying.

dddrew.

blah.
I'd be patient and wait for a better deal. I bought my 2009 GTI with less than 25k miles last fall for $17000. You definitely want to get at least a 2008.5 or older though so you get the bulletproof TSI engine :thumbsup: . Plus buying a car online sounds like a TERRIBLE idea. You always want to inspect it first, test drive it, and make sure its absolutely what you want and doesn't have any imperfections.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
You wanted a 4 door; there are plenty of 2009 4 doors available if you are willing to shop outside your market area, so hold off and get what you want for the right price :thumbsup: