GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bumpy ride

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Hey!

I have a question, I recently had to replace my front struts mounts/bearing. When doing this job, I bought used OEM springs and shocks as my car is over 200k miles, I figured out it could only be an improvement.

The job done, I didn't really feel a difference in handling but the car feels much more "bumpy" especially at low speeds. The big bumps are absorbed well but under 30 mph I seem to feel every imperfections of the road in my back.

So I supposed the shocks/struts were bad, I ordered new shocks and struts (Sachs OEM equivalent), the situation improved but only marginally.

Now the handling at speed is better than before but it still feels bumpy. Could the springs be bad or cause this kind of behavior (the looked fine, with little or no corrosion and had the same height, thickness and width as my old ones). Ride height is also correct on all four corners.

As I said, big bumps are really well absorbed so I don't understand why it's uncomfortable on a normal road.

What could cause this issue? Any one has experience with that? Thanks

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
I am also experiencing the same, but with mild lowering springs (H&R OE Sport, 0.75" drop on 2006-07 cars, 0.20" on 2008+)
I owned a 2012 GTI prior to this, and that car was much softer than the 2007. I don't remember the stock 2007 having such a bumpy ride, but I do remember that the bumps felt harsher upon initial impact.

The 2007 suspension did feel sharper, but I am fitting in suspension from a 2011 car (as the platform's the same) to see if that can soften up the ride a little.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I replaced the tires which were worn and also drove 2k+ miles with the new shocks/struts. It feels much smoother right now, the biggest difference came from the tires.