GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Building my motor, need advice on valvetrain.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
So as most of you know I'm getting the last of my parts together to build my motor this winter in preparation for the big turbo setup. I currently have a set of Supertech intake and exhaust valves but need to pick up a spring set still (could have swore I bought those already). There's not a whole lot of reviews on valvetrains for our motors and I wanted to see if anyone here can chime in. What little reviews I can find on the supertech stuff is mixed. Obviously I'm trying to keep cost low and the supertech valvetrain does that very well. Should I just get the ST springs and go ahead and build my head with that or get IE/Ferrera springs?

Going deeper, is there any reason to not run the ST valves? I just want to make sure I build this thing right the first time. Any input or advice is appreciated.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I went Supertech valves springs etc for EFR7163

What are you building/power goals?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I went Supertech valves springs etc for EFR7163

What are you building/power goals?

Full motor, JE FSR 83MM 9.5:1 pistons, IE TUSCAN rods, ARP main and head studs, Calico main and Rod bearings. GT 2876R .60 turbo. Shooting for around 400whp.

Still trying to decide if I'm doing the 1.8T oil pump conversion or just cutting and deleting Balance shafts.

Like I said, I already have the ST valves, was just unsure on what springs to run. Going IE seals and guides.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Leave the oil pump alone. I feel bad for recommending to jose to get the 1.8t conversion. I was looking at supertech springs myself earlier this year. My stock stuff is holding up well but I dont beat the shit outta ths car and my motors only got like 6k miles. I run calico bearings for everything.

Did you order those ARP studs yet?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Go for the IE springs, seals, and OEM oil pump with balance shaft delete with fluidampr or 1.8 conversion if you won't go for the fluidampr.
I had the 1.8 conversation and I moved to the OEM oil pump with deleted balance shaft.

I have the ferrea valvetrain kit but if you wanna keep cost low and you already have the ST valves then go for IE head kit.

I have the INA Cam Follower (Hydraulic Lifter), and Ferrea lifter shims, you can check the links below;

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volk...inder-Head/Cam-Follower-Hydraulic-Lifter.html

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volk...nternals/Cylinder-Head/Audi-Lifter-Shims.html

Last edited:

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I went with the ferrea valve retainers, spring and spring seats. With the cost comparsion of OEM to upgraded springs, its kinda of a no brainer to get the upgraded ones.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
also, I'd make provisions for an external oil cooler.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I went with the ferrea valve retainers, spring and spring seats. With the cost comparsion of OEM to upgraded springs, its kinda of a no brainer to get the upgraded ones.

Oh I'm not going OEM, my question is if people think the Supertech springs are ok/worth it or if I should just pay the extra for either the IE or Ferrea springs.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Eventually I'm going to install an accusump but that's eventually. I already plan on the DSG cooler to help keep it healthy.

Accusump not an oil cooler though.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Oh I'm not going OEM, my question is if people think the Supertech springs are ok/worth it or if I should just pay the extra for either the IE or Ferrea springs.

Here is a link to a comment from a professional engine builder (PagParts) on the comparision of Supertech vs Ferrea. LINK

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI