GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Budget K04 Clutch Options

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Okay guys, so as most of the active people know I went K04 last weekend. Long story short it is awesome but it is absolutely destroying my clutch. So I am looking for the best budget solution that will hold my power (Not more than 350wtq). I am fine with cutting it close as long as it won't completely not work on me. A slip every once and a while is okay. So here is my scenario...

-I can buy from a local Golf R these parts: Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywheel for $50 per item.

-People have said I might need a bit more grip to not slip.

-That leaves a couple of options...
A. Sachs SRE TDI Clutch disk (Rated to 350tq) $250 +Golf R PP and Flywheel
B. TTRS Pressure plate $500 + Golf R Clutch and Flywheel
C. RSR DIY kit $650 + shipping and a lot of sourcing.
D. TDI Clutch + PP (and TOB) $325 shipped (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--TDI/Drivetrain/Clutch/ES2762550/)

So what do you guys think? Also do I need to resurface anything to use it? Like the TDI clutch disk with R flywheel? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Why TDI? I haven't read anything about that part fitting the fsi. Looking at the pics, the pressure plate and throw out bearing are different.

Here's the FSI version: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Drivetrain/Clutch/Clutch_Kit/ES2570109/

How many miles on your current flywheel?

Also, what version is the golf R clutch you're looking at? I have read that there was a revision that handles more torque. There was a slipping clutch issue with some of the earlier Rs.

I had under 50k on mine when I replaced it. Flywheel had a little bit of play in it, but didn't feel like it was going to grenade itself. I roughed it up and re-used it when I put my replacement OE clutch in.

I'm over 80k now, and it's holding really well. I do have a little slip when it's below zero and I'm pushing it, but it's minimal. And, this may likely be attributed to an overly tight wastegate allowing in excess of 25 psi in that torque range.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Just get the Sachs SRE clutch kit (the real one not a cobbled together tdi friction plate frankenclutch), with the euro being weak against the dollar it's a great time to get one.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Why TDI? I haven't read anything about that part fitting the fsi. Looking at the pics, the pressure plate and throw out bearing are different.

Here's the FSI version: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Drivetrain/Clutch/Clutch_Kit/ES2570109/

How many miles on your current flywheel?

Also, what version is the golf R clutch you're looking at? I have read that there was a revision that handles more torque. There was a slipping clutch issue with some of the earlier Rs.

I had under 50k on mine when I replaced it. Flywheel had a little bit of play in it, but didn't feel like it was going to grenade itself. I roughed it up and re-used it when I put my replacement OE clutch in.

That TDI Clutch will fit the GTI (Thats what ECS says at least) and it has slightly higher limits but not by much. I'm not exactly sure which version it is but I'm pretty sure his car is a 2012 so it could be the earlier one. That being said he run APR stage 3 on it for a while and it held that power. My current flywheel has 110K miles but I'm planning on using as much of those R parts as I can because it only has 50K miles and shouldn't need to be resurfaced. I'm just really lost as it seems like the two options are either go OEM and save some money but risk it slipping again, or throwing down insane money for a kit. I just want to find maybe one component that will beef up the R setup enough to where it should hold the power better.

Just get the Sachs SRE clutch kit (the real one not a cobbled together tdi friction plate frankenclutch), with the euro being weak against the dollar it's a great time to get one.

Hmmm could I maybe mix the SRE clutch with the R components? The full kit is 650 Euros plus shipping which ends up being about $750. For that price I could buy an RSR kit and be golden. BUT I can find the SRE clutch disk itself for $300 shipped. If there was a way use those components together that would be an awesome cheap way out. http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....-6-speed-02q-with-luk-dual-mass-flywheel.html

Last edited:

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
http://www.sachsperformance.com/Sac...;-09/2006/SRE-Performance-Clutch-Kit::85.html

Part #:
001394.999502 [Use with an OEM LUK pressure plate that comes on the GTI.]

Its ~$650 USD shipped now, you dont pay VAT as a US customer. The only .:R component that would be sensible to use would be the OEM Sachs DMF rather than the LUK one that comes on the GTI, that requires a slightly different different pressure plate (Different not better or upgraded) that's clutch part #001422.999502.

You can get both pressure plates from ECS.

Mine held 390wtq without slipping, pedal feel is like stock after break-in and there is no rattle.

As your DMF has 110k on it it is time to replace it, cost of a LUK pressure plate from ECS will be cheaper than going with a SRE single mass kit (~1300 USD shipped).

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
http://www.sachsperformance.com/Sac...;-09/2006/SRE-Performance-Clutch-Kit::85.html

Part #:
001394.999502 [Use with an OEM LUK pressure plate that comes on the GTI.]

Its ~$650 USD shipped now, you dont pay VAT as a US customer. The only .:R component that would be sensible to use would be the OEM Sachs DMF rather than the LUK one that comes on the GTI, that requires a slightly different different pressure plate (Different not better or upgraded) that's clutch part #001422.999502.

You can get both pressure plates from ECS.

Mine held 390wtq without slipping, pedal feel is like stock after break-in and there is no rattle.

As your DMF has 110k on it it is time to replace it, cost of a LUK pressure plate from ECS will be cheaper than going with a SRE single mass kit (~1300 USD shipped).

Hmmm do you know if that Sachs kit comes with the TOB and bolts? If I were to go with a full kit then SRE/Sachs or DIY RSR are my top two. I guess the other alternative is the SouthBend Stage 3 drop in disk

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Hmmm do you know if that Sachs kit comes with the TOB and bolts?

I cannot recommend the SRE enough. They have a TOB that can be purchased separately and it does not come with bolts, just gummy bears and a packet of grease.

Here are the parts you will need:
SRE Clutch -001394.999502
LUK DMF - 06F105266AC
OEM throwout bearing - 0A5141671F
DMF bolts x6 - N90665001
Flywheel bolts x6 - N90320701
Throwout bolts x3 - N90847002
Throwout o-ring - 0A5141143A

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
I cannot recommend the SRE enough. They have a TOB that can be purchased separately and it does not come with bolts, just gummy bears and a packet of grease.

Here are the parts you will need:
SRE Clutch -001394.999502
LUK DMF - 06F105266AC
OEM throwout bearing - 0A5141671F
DMF bolts x6 - N90665001
Flywheel bolts x6 - N90320701
Throwout bolts x3 - N90847002
Throwout o-ring - 0A5141143A

Wait what? LOLOL

Thanks for the part numbers man, seriously I know people have said the forums have gone downhill but there are still some rad people around that help save asses.

MKVDC10562

meow
Car(s)
2012 Golf R
Are those part numbers straight off the Sachs website. My clutch is starting to slip at 86k but only when in a high gear at low speed like 45mph. I'm most likely gonna buy the Sachs kit because it looks like that's what everyone recommends on a k04+ setup.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Those are what I ordered when I installed mine.

Sachs will throw candy in the box, I got some packs of gummy bears.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
All but the SRE clutch are OEM VW part numbers.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion

Pissat4motion

Time Lord