GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BSH intake Whistle/buzzing noise

phillip1978

Ready to race!
Well as some people with the BSH CAI are aware, there is bloody annoying whise/buzz at WOT with this intake, and after lots of attempts of rectifying this I have not only discovered the cause of it but eliminated it.
It is due to that stupid DV relocation point on the bend of the BSH pipe just before the intake to the turbo.
This has been causing an effect called resonance. The adaptor point is essentially a tuned chamber, on some cars these are added to cancel the effects of intake noise on the mkv gt,i it bloody well created it.
A resonance chamber can be cancelled out by 2 methods.
1) lengthen the chamber
2) shorten it
Being in Australia as the master brake cylinder and reservoir sits just millimetres from the DV relocator point I could not lengthen it, so I got a local engineering firm to machine a plug out of nylon. I measured up the width and depth and dropped of the design to them and the manufactured it.
Plugged it in, started her up and took her fo a fang
Guess what
No damn stupid whistle/buzz
:happyanim:
Anyways if that's the issue you have been having, just get a vernier calipee measure the inside diameter of the dv point and depth and get it MADD from nylon as it can withstand the high temps of the engine bay and ug it in enjoy your gti
BSH I hope you get something out of this and supply future customers of you CAI with this item instead of that el cheapo rubber cap.
What is surprising, if you have the APR tuning software and select the VW stock tune and the go WOT there is no whistle/buzz but on stage 2 selected there

IIIHobbs

The Old Man Down the Road
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Hence why adding the DV Relo kit also eliminates the noise

I had offered a similar explanation when I first installed my BSH Intake but the suggestion was quickly dismissed as unlikely by those who replied.

Glad your ingenuity identified and resolved the issue.