GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BSH FSI Engine Mount Package Review

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
BSH Engine, Transmission, & Pendulum FSI Mount Kit Review

I purchased the entire kit (http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore/products/BSH-%2d-FSI{47}TSI-Engine-Mount-Package-.html) about 8K miles ago. I will go into detail on the pros and cons I’ve encountered with it, but overall I will say I’m very satisfied.

First things first, NVH (Noise, Vibration, and harshness) is unavoidable with poly engine mounts. If you are considering poly mounts you need to realize that NVH will increase, that’s just part of the deal, so if you don’t mind that continue reading, otherwise don’t bother thinking about aftermarket engine mounts.

Let’s start with the installation. Installation is rather simple if you have even just a little mechanical experience. The thing that takes the longest is getting parts out of the way to get to the mounts themselves (mainly the battery and battery holder), other than that, make sure your engine is supported and unbolt them, and then bolt in the new ones. Very simple, and an experienced person should be able to take care of it in under an hour. Below you’ll see some comparison shots of the different mounts and as you can tell there is a big difference between the flimsy rubber stock mounts and the BSH poly mounts (I know, I know hardly anyone calls them poly mounts but I do so get over it).

Pendulum (stock mount on the left, and BSH mount on the right in first picture):

Transmission side mount (stock mount on the left, and BSH mount on the right in first picture):

Engine side mount (stock mount on the left, and BSH mount on the right in first picture):

Now something I did not expect was the great sound you get from these. I’ve had solid and poly mounts in other cars before, but never had a car whose sound became that much more aggressive from them. I’m really happy with that surprise.

Ok, so now some of the pros to these. Shifts have become much more direct, and solid. Downshifting is now easier because there is no what I call slop in the engine from shifting. At a stop you can feel the NVH’s obviously more, however once you get moving I think it’s actually smoother than the stock mounts. The last obvious pro to these is how long they should last. I would expect these to last longer than my engine does most likely, but of course only time will tell.

So I can only really see one con to these mounts (other than NVH if your even going to consider that a con) and that is after they get broken in. The feel of the mounts immediately after they were installed was definitely more solid than after a couple of thousand miles. Not to say it’s a dramatic decrease in stiffness, but you do notice a difference. I sort of wish they wouldn’t have gotten broken in, but hey it’s still 100% better than stock.

Again, overall these mounts were one of the best purchases I’ve made for my vehicle. I’m no mechanic, or any kind of car builder. I’m just a guy who likes to improve his VW in ways that make it more fun to drive. Also I’ve been in vehicles with competitors mount kits and honestly for the price and quality I don’t think you’ll find anything better. Not to mention BSH’s customer service is great and if you run into problems they are always eager to help!

Thank you to the BSH team!!

molo_Ono

Go Balls Deep
Car(s)
'07 GTI
Do you know if upgrading the pendulum mount alone would cause premature wear on the other two (stock)?

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Nice write up. I wrote a minor one a week ago. Luv the vibes. One of the best investments yet.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Do you know if upgrading the pendulum mount alone would cause premature wear on the other two (stock)?

I don't think it would, but I would just save your money and get them all at once. I went through two sets of stock mounts (because warranty covered them) before I wised up and got these. The stock mounts even when new are super flimsy because they want absorb as much NVH as possible, but they aren't good once you start putting down more power.

molo_Ono

Go Balls Deep
Car(s)
'07 GTI
I don't think it would, but I would just save your money and get them all at once. I went through two sets of stock mounts (because warranty covered them) before I wised up and got these. The stock mounts even when new are super flimsy because they want absorb as much NVH as possible, but they aren't good once you start putting down more power.

:thumbsup: ...I might wait to get the other two then.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Excellent write up, thank you for the review and all of the pictures. As always, we are here to help in anyway possible.

No problem at all, these have become my favorite mod to my car by far. I've had upgraded mounts in previous vehicles, but in this car it makes it feel like a whole different vehicle.

BSH Speedshop

Ready to race!
No problem at all, these have become my favorite mod to my car by far. I've had upgraded mounts in previous vehicles, but in this car it makes it feel like a whole different vehicle.

That is identical to what a customer told me yesterday.

"Someone needs to tell the world about this!" is what he said. :biggrin:

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
love mine too, one of my favorite modifications outside of going big turbo.

xatnys360

Ready to race!
I wish there was some sort of quantifiable way to measure NVH before and after install. I keep reading about how awesome this modification is, but I'm still apprehensive. It seems the only way to get an idea of what you are in for is to ride in someone else's car that has the kit installed.

Nice write-up!

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
I wish there was some sort of quantifiable way to measure NVH before and after install. I keep reading about how awesome this modification is, but I'm still apprehensive. It seems the only way to get an idea of what you are in for is to ride in someone else's car that has the kit installed.

Nice write-up!

Yea there really isn't any way to judge it for others. Everyone has different sensitivities to NVH.

Thanks!