GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Broken stock exhaust valve spring

Zimmysevenfive

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the forum and have a problem with my 2010 MK6 GTI. I recently bought the car from a friend knowing that it has engine problems. Here's my story and I'm hopeful someone will add their thoughts to this post.

I have a broken exhaust valve spring on cylinder 3 and am wondering if anyone has heard of this problem before or how common it may be. The car is completely stock except for a cold air intake. There are 85K miles on the car and the timing chains and tensioner were done at the dealer less than 10K miles ago. They were making noise before this was done but as far as I know it was caught and fixed before any timing jumped. The dealer has also replaced the intake manifold in the past but did not do any carbon cleaning when that was done.

It had miss fire codes on all the cylinders when I got it and the dealer said there was a hard miss on cyl. 3 and a valve was stuck open. They quoted an insane repair cost and offered to buy the car from my friend for a very low price. Needless to say he trailered it home and I have since trailered it to my place.

I have pulled the cam cover and can plainly see the broken exhaust spring on #3. Best I can tell the valve is in place and hopefully not bent. I pulled most of the rockers so I could index the cams to a position where they wouldn't continue to have force applied from the valve springs. Hopefully I didn't cause any damage by removing the cam cover before releasing the timing chains. I would think the cam bridge would be the only possibly affected part by doing this. I think the engine is still in time but have not removed the timing covers to look. I'm not sure how I would explain the misses on the other cylinders. I did find a torn diaphragm in the PCV valve when I removed it and thought this may cause miss fire codes.

I'm thinking I will need to open up the timing covers to release the chains, remove the cams and replace all the valve springs. I'm hoping the timing chains, tensioner are good to use again since the dealer was supposed to have done them so recently. I also need to remove the intake and do a carbon cleaning at some point.

Anyone done this work before? Thoughts about the situation? Things I should also be looking at if it I'm in it this far. I have searched and don't see very much about broken valve springs in stock engines without tunes or turbo upgrades. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Zimmysevenfive

Thanks! I'm hoping it's still in time and just the one valve spring and the other cylinders miss fires were due to the PCV. It seems like lot of work even getting the timing covers off!

zrickety

The Fixer
Anyone done this work before? Thoughts about the situation?
Look in my signature, I rebuilt one that jumped time. You say the dealer did all the timing work before anything happened, but a broken spring and misfires are red flags. You might as well pull the head and get a good look underneath. Parts are cheap and labor is free if you can do it. I'm guessing you will find at least one bent valve. It's a great time to do a new head gasket and ARP studs.

Zimmysevenfive

Thanks for the tips! I have read your thread a couple times and will be reading through it again. It's inspiring to hear that it can be done at a reasonable cost if you do the work yourself.

zrickety

The Fixer

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
I've got a set of new stock springs if you are interested. I bought a rebuilt head from VW this year but upgraded it to IE springs when I went K04. I don't think they are used, they look new and are likely the upgraded ones based on the striping detailed in this thread..

Zimmysevenfive

Thanks for the offer! I'm still sorting out what direction to go and have plenty to disassemble yet. If you'd like to message me with how much you're asking I may be grateful to buy them from you when time comes. Thanks again!

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
^ shoot me an offer. Not really sure what these are worth.

Zimmysevenfive

Just wanted to post an update in case it helps any future searchers who may happen upon this thread. Turns out the timing was fine and I had a broken exhaust valve spring and a tear in the pcv diaphragm. This was the cause of the miss fires. I had to remove the timing covers, cam cover, and cams. Made a tool to allow me to change the valve springs with the head still on the car. Used compressed air in each cylinder while changing the springs. Removed intake manifold and did carbon cleaning with the cams still out since all valves were closed. I have the car back together and running great in my early testing. I have a small oil leak to fix at the vacuum pump yet. I didn't replace the gasket and probably should have. I have a new one on the way to hopefully fix the leak. Thanks everyone for your help and advice!