GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

bring it...

oliboy

Car(s)
MkV GTI
Hi guys, im picking up my gti today, went for tornado red with the 18'' monzas and cant wait to get my hands on it! had a mini and was delighted with the handling, so hoping i will be experiencing something similar... ( test drive didn't really enable me to gauge this!) anyway seeing as you lot are all owners is there any tips and anything i need to be made aware of being a gti virgin? i think it would be a great idea to have a meet... some cracking roads round yorkshire if there's anyone up for it around here!?!:laugh: :laugh:

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
Anything you need to know?
Watch your speed as the cars speed is deceptive especially after coming from a smaller car with lots of glass like the mini.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Okay, I'll be right over mate!

oliboy

Car(s)
MkV GTI
christ...

thanks for that, bang on what you say about the deceptive speed, it shifts and pulls so well! love it from second to third (whisssssshhhhhhh) and then undercurrent boost that propels your guts into next week! brilliant!
Is there anyway you can set the computer to show your current speed? been far too busy driving to read the boring stuff! haha:thumbup:

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Sadly, VW have missed a lot of opportunities to use the centre MFA effectively - it could easily display boost, oil level, speed, and a bunch of other useful information (since it's all collected anyway) but it does not. Still wouldn't get rid of it though :p and here's to hoping for a software update.
I don't know what the speed camera situation is up where you are - but where I am there's speed cameras galore so a Road Angel was an important investment for me. I've got it hardwired in so no wires all over the place, and it's got a handy digital speedo :D plus the blue/red colour scheme matches that in the GTI.

Congrats on your GTI btw :D it really is something special. Did you get manual or DSG out of interest?

Oh, and make sure you go through the running in period properly before you floor it!

newtogolf

up until now ive always considered DSG if i were to get one of these cars. but sometimes i think manual can be more fun. and u save £1300. i think if i was spending 1300, i would rather put it into leather seats than a DSG.

gti5dr06

Autocross Newbie
if such an option were available here in the states..maybe but as it stands leather seats cost 3000..definitely not worth it..even for the side bolstering..i'd rather pick up a nuvi 660..money for 2 years insurance..and an extra set of tires

oliboy

Car(s)
MkV GTI
Went for the manual in the end for the fun factor...interesting point about the road angel... cameras all over yorkshire, but they also tend to be stationary in vans lurking on the sly and zap you before you have realised they are there! Have been looking at a detector myself, the road angel plus, cos its wireless; also heard some great reviews about the origin b2, anyone know how good it is or which is the best? I cant afford anymore points - on six for 34 in a thirty, and 68 on the motorway! (was down to a fifty zone exempt from 50 limit signs??!!) argued the toss and gained the points.
Have been taking it steady, i've been told they really open up after about 10k miles, is this true and i've also been told ill start hearing a throaty burble around 3k miles?

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
depends cause all cars are different..
you got points for going 34?! i always go 40 on 30 roads wth cops around.. they dont care around here....

ukdub

Test Pilot
Bennylenny88
I guess you live in a different part of Wigan to me then.
I do at least 60 in a 30.:biggrin:

cmdrfire

I got nicked once for doing 34 in a 30 in Reading... as it happens I got away by being invited into some sort of "safety awareness class"... took three hours out of a saturday, but that's it, no points and no fine.
Unfortunately the fuzz who caught me on the motorway a year ago weren't so lenient...

Nowadays I keep my speeding for the Continent.

/6 points

ukdub

Test Pilot
Not far from you then. I live just by the Asda