GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake pads shifting in caliper

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Manufacturing tolerance, probably. If they made the backing tolerance too tight, there's an off chance that the pad could get cocked in the bracket and not move properly. Knowing Toyota OEM pads myself, they have room to shift for that purpose. I ran Centrics in a vehicle I had before and they clattered at lower speeds. Wrote it off as part of the game with aftermarket pads.

No that's not it. The aftermarket pads are too short top to bottom and therefore have free play in the caliper. They should be longer like OEM.

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
Just to wrap this thread up...after fixing the fronts I was still getting noises from the rear pads shifting up and down. I was able to fix it by removing the top retaining clip and JB welding a very small and thin washer (approx the thickness of the amount of pad movement again) on to the retaining clip. (See pic, red circles is where I put the washers). Popped the clip back in place, reinstalling the pads making sure they could still move in and out freely.
Very happy to say that my brakes are completely noise free and operating perfectly now. Ideally I would of love to get a proper fitting pad in the first place, but this is the next best solution of you want ceramic pads. Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue!
2DD4DC6F-7A3B-4B53-985A-7D2C39E1473B.jpeg

17GOLFSE

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf SE
Glad I found this thread. Put these same pads on my car and having the same issue. I’ll try to do so the shim/metal mod.

ZimmLR

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
@17GOLFSE just a heads up that after applying some brake grease to the backside of the pads the clunking completely went away after about a month (around 500-600 miles). It was pretty annoying while it was happening but its been at least 10 months since I’ve had any clunk whatsoever.

17GOLFSE

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf SE
@ZimmLR
I found that out the hard way. Took out all the pads and put a thin layer of grease on the back. The noise improved significantly, but now I know I’m not crazy and it’s a manufacturing tolerance issue.

bartdemunck

Car(s)
2016 golf 7R abt
i have the problem after the workshop installed brembo brake pads.
I've already returned with the car, and he changed the back plate. That time i didn't realise it was brake pad shifting.
He costed me 550 euro.
Now i've found this topic.

The clearance is about 2mm between the pad en the caliber.
He put a lot of grease on the pad, is it necessary?
I think it would shift less when there is no copper grease on the back

anyone has a reference to the original pads or to a brand where the pads don't shift.
IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

Last edited:

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Additional data point - my 2018 R with 15,500 miles on it has developed this clunking forward/back noise on the original pads which is why I'm reading this thread. I assumed it was pad related so didn't really care but it has been a bit annoying so figured I'd check here. Guess it's just a normal thing. Maybe I'll try a fix from here on it during the Christmas break from work.