GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake Bleeding

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
I just finished bleeding my brakes with a Motive pressure bleeder using ATE Racing Blue brake fluid and it made a big difference. The order for bleeding is FL, FR, RL, RR - backwards from just about any other car I can think of. Anyway there were a few bubbles on the first one and on the last one I kept getting a stream of bubble from the base of the nipple. At least, I hope there wasn't that much air in the last line! In the end, I just barely backed it out and dripped it once all of the ATE Blue was coming through. Next time, I will either buy 4 new nipples or order the power bleeder ones. Anyway, the initial bite is MUCH better. In fact, I probably should have done this before installing the Hawk HPS brake pads. It's probably one of the best $15 mods you can do to your car. :thumbsup:

mkvdubber

Ready to race!
Car(s)
335xi
Ur suppose to start with the furthest caliper moving up to the closest to the master cylinder...and how much fluid did u use 4 ur flush?

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Ur suppose to start with the furthest caliper moving up to the closest to the master cylinder...and how much fluid did u use 4 ur flush?

I know usually you go in the order you mention, but the Bentley Guide specifically says to do it in the order I posted in section 47-5. And it says"Adhere strictly to work sequence when bleeding brake system". I think it has to do with the ABS unit.

Umm...I had a drinking water bottle full of waste fluid (~500mL) with everything topped up. So actually it would be a $7.50 upgrade if you split it with someone who needs to do their car too. :thumbsup:

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
As you bled the pressure would drop and had to pump it up more?

Good question...yeah, I has a small leak at a brass fitting so I had to tighten that up and repump it from 10psi to 15 psi. But basically, it didn't drop very fast maybe pumped it up from 10 psi to 15 psi 2 or 3 times.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
The leak was on the power bleeder or the car?

yeah there is a brass fitting when the model specific cap hose connects to the unit. In fact, after tightening it down quite a bit it still had a really slow leak so I;ll go back and put teflon tape on it sometime.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
The cap hose connection or the hose to main unit?

its where the main unit hose connects up to the "euro" hose/cap assembly. a brass threaded male to female connector. I'll try to post a picture of the bleeder tomorrow so you can see it.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
I have one of those Motive bleeders. The clear plastic hose goes over the fitting on the cap and is secured with a type of compression clamp. So, some of the fluid instead of going down the fitting and into the brake fluid reservoir ended up going between the fitting and the plastic hose. Did I get this right?

About mid way down the clear tube there is a threaded brass fitting that had a slow leak. I think teflon tape will fix it it...if not I'll call up motive. I'll put pics up here soon.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
How are the HPS pads over the stock. I can't decide between HP+ and HPS. The HPS offers significant improvement? How is the noise and dust?

Seems like a pretty mild pad. Not too much dust and perfectly quiet with more grip than stock. I wouldn't say it's a very grippy pad but definitely better than stock. I haven't known anybody with the HP+ pads so I can't really comment on them. I don't mind gritty brakes but I don't want anything squealing.

Honestly, PBR MetalMaster pads are probably what I'd recommend. They are so cheap compared to Hawk and worked REALLY well on my old cars.

BTW check out the HAWK prices from Neuspeed. They are very good and include UPS shipping. :thumbsup: