GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BOV questions Ya ya i know...

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yea yea, I know this has been beaten to death but hear me out...

Okay, so i've been searching for a while now and can't find exactly what im after. I know these cars use the DV system, and a bov *hks or the like* have to have some crazy shit ugly adapter to mount properly. But what about this...

What if custom piping is made, from throttle body to IC and IC to turbo is made and the bov is mounted in the traditional way using a vband clamp with the proper port off of the throttle body - IC side pipe?

The next part of the puzzle that confuses me is what to do with the stock DV setup.. block off the port on the turbo housing.. then do what with the DV itself? hide it away and leave it plugged in?

Also, I'm running APR S2+ tune if that matters...

I'm researching IAT's with specific IC setups, and if it turns out that a stand alone setup is what's best, i'll be picking up a Vibrant core, and building my piping myself. I just want to know if I can add a vband clamp setup and run a real BOV to the piping or what.

I've heard all the shit about it running rich between shifts blah blah blah, but IF this is even the case, wouldn't a traditional BOV setup rectify this seeing as it's a tried and true method on 100's of applications.

sorry for my long ass post. I just want to know what if any possible problems could arise from this.

thanks for all your guy's help! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Car(s)
Subaru
nope, its not tried and true. actually dv setups are the better way to go cause youre keeping the air in instead of wasting it. you can still use a bov but just recirculate it back in. ill be doing a synapses bov but recirculated in a few months when i get back from dominica republic.

why you wanting to just dump the air anyways? the sound?

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
From what i've found the air is just pushed back up the pipe towards the closed throttle body, and then the magic starts again, it doesn't stay compressed in the piping as it sounds like it would.

I've been reading and the recirc setup is what i would set the BOV to do.

I guess my main questions are more of, can I mount it in the traditional way using a vband on the throttle body-IC side pipe, and then what do I do with the stock DV?

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
The synapses valve is also on my consideration list. See how his is mounted in the video. that's what I want to do. I'm trying to eliminate the necessity of the ugly fucking adapters and hoses that can tear, break, fall off, etc etc.

**OP edited, realized that I put IC-Turbo not Tb-IC side pipe for BOV mounting location*

ghost_03

Ready to race!
The companies that sell DV relocate kits also sell block off plates for the conventional mounting location. In those cases the DV is still plugged in and functional albeit somewhere else; in your case I suppose you could just tuck it away somewhere to avoid codes...

That said, I think a BOV is a bad idea for a number of reasons. First and foremost, is that any air that is in the system that you vent has already gone by the MAF. I believe this means that the ECU is expecting that air to go into the combustion chamber, and so it adds fuel accordingly. If that air is not in there, you can end up running rich, which could mean lost power, black smoke, etc.

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'll have to look into it some more, I wonder if being tuned will change any of that.

I just want to traditionally mount the BOV basically, if it has to be run in recirc. mode then so be it. I just want a nice cleanly installed setup in the end. Maybe i'll get in touch with some companies and see what they say regarding the MAF issues that could arise.

I appreciate all of your guys help a lot!!

Car(s)
Subaru
yeah, a tune can delete the maf, but not all tunes support it and its not a smart idea to do unless youre going with a bt. are you running a k04 or bigger? a k03 can keep its stock location and the rev d is prolly one of the loudest out there when it comes to a dv. a good bov wont make much noise outside of a split second and a dv the same way. bovs that are loud and drawn out are causing you to lose power and throttle response. id stick with a dv or a good pop valve if i was you. they may not sound as cool, but function over form in things like this

RobbS

Purveyor of terrible cars
Car(s)
Bagged MK5 GLI
50/50 or Forge spacer (Revision D DV's are different mounts, FYI) if you want to make the panties drop.

By panties drop, I mean just go psssst.

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
thanks for all the info guys, I'm thinking of tinkering, my buddy has a spare SSQV laying around and when i build my piping for the IC it wont be a big deal at all to make a 2nd TB-IC pipe with a vband port on it. Maybe i'll just play and see what happens.

Im gonna inspect my DV tomorrow when I get my car up on the lift at my parents house, Im not sure what revision I have but would like to know. I don't have any issues but regardless I want to check to make sure.

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
50/50 or Forge spacer (Revision D DV's are different mounts, FYI) if you want to make the panties drop.

By panties drop, I mean just go psssst.

Hahaha i like it :thumbsup:

Car(s)
Subaru
thanks for all the info guys, I'm thinking of tinkering, my buddy has a spare SSQV laying around and when i build my piping for the IC it wont be a big deal at all to make a 2nd TB-IC pipe with a vband port on it. Maybe i'll just play and see what happens.

Im gonna inspect my DV tomorrow when I get my car up on the lift at my parents house, Im not sure what revision I have but would like to know. I don't have any issues but regardless I want to check to make sure.

unless you or the previous owner changed to a rev g or d, then youll have a rev c. also, maybe the previous owner or yourself had vw put in a cage-less rev d :iono:

my guess though, you have a rev c. if i was you, id just use a rev d. plenty loud and you wont have problems. good luck with the build though

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
My car was tuned by the Previous owner, has a larger DP, blah blah blah, I'll check it out tomorrow. :thumbsup: thanks guys