GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a 15 SS

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
"...took a should be $25-30K car and..."

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Please finish the rest of the sentence. "took a should be $25-30K car and added enough Cadillac options to make it a $50k car."

You're not so good at this whole reading thing are you? :confused:

And did you skip over the part about the Holden Commodore SS listing for ~$41k Aus or ~$30k US dollars and the Pontiac G8 GT listing for $28k-31k? You do know it's the same car right, I mean with a whole shit ton of Cadillac options.

hooligan74

Ready to race!
What options should they eliminate to get it down to the numbers you cited?

I can read just fine. Even stripped with cloth upholstery this isn't a sub-$30K car.

Also, you can't just do a straight currency conversion to get what a car "should" cost. It simply doesn't work that way.

A base Corvette cost $48.5K in '09 but costs $56K today. Why? It's the "same" car, just like your G8/SS example.

Last edited:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
What options should they eliminate to get it down to the numbers you cited?

Oh I don't know... maybe magnetic ride control, massive brembo brakes, navigation, dual climate, HID's, leather, LS3 engine, etc. These all could have been options. The L77 6.0L engine could have been standard, cloth interior, no nav, etc and the price would have easily been in the $30k range.

Also, you can't just do a straight currency conversion to get what a car "should" cost. It simply doesn't work that way.

Which is why I also referenced the G8 GT with L76 pricing to back up those claims. The Chevy SS should have been a rebadged G8 GT.

hooligan74

Ready to race!
You're being ridiculous now.

Name another 400+ hp RWD sedan that sells for the price you're talking about in this country.

Enjoy fantasyland. I'm done.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
You're being ridiculous now.

Name another 400+ hp RWD sedan that sells for the price you're talking about in this country.

Enjoy fantasyland. I'm done.

That.is.my.entire.point.

It doesn't have to be a 415hp fully optioned out sedan, it could be a 348hp L77 sedan. The Holden Commodore SS comes with the L77 engine, not the 415HP LS3. All they had to do was bring the Commodore and it's various trims over to the US. They could offer various trim levels that would allow consumers to pick what they want. Think 328i vs M3. Same platform, very different options and thus price. What is so hard to understand about this? :iono:

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
If GM wanted to compete I would agree with Ronnie_B. That's the whole thing with GM, you don't know what the hell they were thinking or doing. I don't know the target market for this vehicle.

Getting back to the point, the two cars should not be crossed shopped and then critiqued against each other, or at least I think that is the consensus here. Then a side point that is being argued is GM fucked up the handling/launch of the vehicle. If they would have cut some of the options down, then it could have been a viable option to cross shop with the gti or R, and thusly you wouldn't be getting a bunch of blow back for shitting on the GTI.

hooligan74

Ready to race!
If GM wanted to compete I would agree with Ronnie_B. That's the whole thing with GM, you don't know what the hell they were thinking or doing. I don't know the target market for this vehicle....

If GM wanted to compete with what? I can't think of another 400+ hp RWD sporty sedan that's in this price range.

I would imagine the target market is someone that wants a powerful RWD sedan, but can't or won't spring for a $65K+ German or Japanese option.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
If GM wanted to compete with what? I can't think of another 400+ hp RWD sporty sedan that's in this price range.

I would imagine the target market is someone that wants a powerful RWD sedan, but can't or won't spring for a $65K+ German or Japanese option.

The Charger R/T:
370/395 @$33,000

Charger SRT-8:
470/485 @$46,000

Or you could do what a die-hard enthusiast would do and buy an e92 M3 for less than 30k and have a car that'd handle better than any other option listed.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
The Charger R/T:
370/395 @$33,000

Charger SRT-8:
470/485 @$46,000

Or you could do what a die-hard enthusiast would do and buy an e92 M3 for less than 30k and have a car that'd handle better than any other option listed.

:thumbsup:

For $40k you can already get base R/T Scat Pack with 485HP..... But not MT tho... SS is for MT guys so... you get what you pay for.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
The Charger R/T:
370/395 @$33,000

Charger SRT-8:
470/485 @$46,000

This guy knows what's up...

Sent from my iPhone

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Yeah comparos with the older M5 are telling.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
[emoji106]

For $40k you can already get base R/T Scat Pack with 485HP..... But not MT tho... SS is for MT guys so... you get what you pay for.

Oh I forgot they upgraded the scat pack to the 6.4. That's a good deal for a lot of power. Yeah auto is not ideal at all. At least it's an 8 speed ZF.

That doesn't detract from the point that, with a feature-stripped SS 6mt it could have competed in a segment that's very under represented.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
That doesn't detract from the point that, with a feature-stripped SS 6mt it could have competed in a segment that's very under represented.

Exactly. GM already has the Cadillac ATS and CTS, why they felt the need to option out the SS to the point of Cadillac-esque luxury is beyond me. Give us the option of a base L77 6M Commodore at the justified price of ~$30k, and they'd sell like hotcakes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk