GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a 15 SS

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
The top reply on jalopnik says it all.
'It's sort of telling that the best comparison for a 2014 Chevy is a 2000 BMW.

Chevy, we're just not quite there yet.'

JT641

Banned
Nice car I briefly considered it But decided to pass on it, Staying with German Cars. You consider an E90 M3?? very nice when supercharged, Also the SS even when supercharged maxes out at around 165mph unless you change the gearing in the diff.

To give some perspective to thread, I'm 50 years old I grew up with V8 Muscle Cars (Ford and Chevy). But I have to say those muscle cars could never keep with a "Properly Modded" GTI and even most of Today's I have to say wouldn't either. I daily my GTI and it does great even my 93 year old father likes it (he doesn't drive anymore). About the reliability, The only issue I've had is the water pump and that's it and taking into account the way I drive it sometimes that's pretty damn good in my book :thumbup: To me it sounds more like you're trying to validate the choice you made which is fine. But it's different when you tell people this what you think of a car. Everyone looks at things differently and has different life experiences and is either a glass is half full or glass is half empty kind of person. Also you can't compare 2 completely different cars, You're comparing apples to oranges.
Now that being said I will be getting rid of my GTI for most likely the current S4 or S6, But if I could afford to keep more than 2 cars (I'll be getting a new 911 C4 GTS or GT3 after I replace the GTI) I would definitely keep it as it is a very very fun car and has gotten more fun to drive with each mod I've done to it, I will definitely miss when it's gone :( You can see here what I've done to my GTI http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46439 Some of my past cars here (not all of them) https://flic.kr/s/aHsjY8dNUn

Last edited:

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Why does the GTI yield the need for RWD after a few years in most people! I swear, I've had the itch to trade mine in for awhile, but its just not fiscally justifiable at 30 years old.

The SS is definitely nice, but its a Sedan. For $40k+, I would have went a low mile Corvette or a Cayman S. :)

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
The gti doesn't handle FWD too well out of the box. Too much suspension movement, too much engine movement and too much torque make the car feel like it doesn't have much traction.

Springs/coils, mounts, braces and tires go a LONG way, though.

JT641

Banned
The gti doesn't handle FWD too well out of the box. Too much suspension movement, too much engine movement and too much torque make the car feel like it doesn't have much traction.

Don't forget an LSD, Made a big difference in handling on my GTI.

SyDiko

Ready to race!

I agree, remembering when my GTI was on stock suspension - it never did 'kiss the apex.' In fact, because it felt a bit wobbly, I never really pushes it too hard out of fear.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I agree, remembering when my GTI was on stock suspension - it never did 'kiss the apex.' In fact, because it felt a bit wobbly, I never really pushes it too hard out of fear.

The stock GTI suspension is fine, I "kiss" the apex every time... It's not very wobbly, lol

Sent from my iPhone

SyDiko

Ready to race!
The stock GTI suspension is fine, I "kiss" the apex every time... It's not very wobbly, lol

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, but you agree that it is SOMEWHAT wobbly (lol) and lets not talk about under-steer!!! (Damn FWD!!!!!)

(Okay, seriously... The car is fine lol!)

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, but you agree that it is SOMEWHAT wobbly (lol) and lets not talk about under-steer!!! (Damn FWD!!!!!)

(Okay, seriously... The car is fine lol!)

It's not bad for stock, and expect understeer you bought FWD lol

Sent from my iPhone

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
To accompany my GTI.

Have to say, it's pretty fucking rad. The GTI will be on permanent daily driver duty. Though I have to slowly move it back to stock, too stiff for daily driving, and the wheels need to go, but that'll happen later.

About the SS, it's great. I've never owned an 8 cyl before, the trans is excellent, and the mag ride is sweet. Definitely doesn't handle like a 3900lb car; takes corners better than my GTI, much better in fact. Headers and intake are already order. Supercharging it over the winter :evil:

Safe to say, my GTI will probably be the last VW I ever own. Maybe another one as a daily, but GTI's are not meant to be performance driven cars. I'm sure if I had an R, I'd feel differently. But looking back at the past 5 years, past 2 GTI's, and all the money spent modding them... totally wasn't worth it.

I'm jealous, I really am...wait wait $50k. Nope, not jealous at all.

You see, I was anxiously awaiting the manual SS, until I realized that GM doomed this Holden Commodore from the start. I was a huge fan of the G8 GT. I drove many and yes it had it's faults (primarily it wasn't available with a manual, and don't say GXP$$$), but it was a decent car at the $30k price point. The SS on the other hand, is another GM screw up. All they had to do was import the Commodore with various trim levels available (christ forbid maybe even the sportwagon version too). But no, GM worked their "magic" and took a should be $25-30K car and added enough Cadillac options to make it a $50k car...thus dooming the SS.

Look, I get it, I was/am a GM fan. I've restored pro-touring muscle cars and owned GM Trucks, yet even I will admit that GM doesn't have anything to compete with the GTI market. If you want to compare your SS to an Audi S4, by all means please go ahead. But spare us all if you think you're going to compare it to a GTI, because you're kidding yourself. See you at the track.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
First post reads 'GTI on permanent daily driver duty.' I think that says it all.

hooligan74

Ready to race!
I'm jealous, I really am...wait wait $50k. Nope, not jealous at all.

You see, I was anxiously awaiting the manual SS, until I realized that GM doomed this Holden Commodore from the start. I was a huge fan of the G8 GT. I drove many and yes it had it's faults (primarily it wasn't available with a manual, and don't say GXP$$$), but it was a decent car at the $30k price point. The SS on the other hand, is another GM screw up. All they had to do was import the Commodore with various trim levels available (christ forbid maybe even the sportwagon version too). But no, GM worked their "magic" and took a should be $25-30K car and added enough Cadillac options to make it a $50k car...thus dooming the SS.

Look, I get it, I was/am a GM fan. I've restored pro-touring muscle cars and owned GM Trucks, yet even I will admit that GM doesn't have anything to compete with the GTI market. If you want to compare your SS to an Audi S4, by all means please go ahead. But spare us all if you think you're going to compare it to a GTI, because you're kidding yourself. See you at the track.
You're shitting me, right?

A Golf R is $37K+ and you want this car to be $25-30K?

You're high.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
You're shitting me, right?

A Golf R is $37K+ and you want this car to be $25-30K?

You're high.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Please tell me where I claim that the Chevy SS should be a $25k-30k car. I claimed that GM added enough Cadillac options/luxury to the Holden Commodore platform to inflate the price to $50k. All while not even giving consumers the choice of various trim levels that the original Holden Commodore has. And yes, the Holden Commodore SS lists for ~$41k Aus or ~$30k US dollars. By comparison the G8 GT listed for $28-31k new in 2009, and inflation has been relatively steady since then. Tell me how I'm crazy again.