GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boost leak at the MAP sensor

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Hi guys, looking for some help/advice.

I’ve been dealing with this issue for a while now, and don’t know what else to do. I have this constant fluid/boost leak at the MAP sensor bung located on the throttle body pipe.
I have a CTS Turbo tb pipe that has a bung for water/meth injection right before the bung for the MAP sensor, here is a picture of the tb pipe:
1625872831550.png

no matter what o-ring size/material/durometer I try on the map sensor, they all keep failing and I always end up finding water/meth mix all over the pipe. Also tried different types of silicone sealants, Teflon, etc. no luck.
Even went as far as changing the tb pipe with a brand new one(thinking it could’ve been a design defect inside the bung) same results.
My original thought was that the material of the o-ring wasn’t compatible with methanol hence making it swell and expand, but then I tried silicone, viton/fkm, hnbr, etc. they all fail. Also slightly bigger ones (.2-.5mm more of total diameter), some would hold for a few days but eventually fail and leak, especially I noticed after a long drive and maxing out the boost (more spray) this is when it’s most likely to fail.

picture of the mess:
IMG-5710.jpg

can anyone help with this? This is driving me nuts at this point I just want to get rid of the car if I’m not able to fix this thing…🤬😤

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I would do some measuring...see if the hole in the pipe requires the sleeve to be on the MAP sensor;
Untitled.png

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
You could also make a gasket...have any Lamin-x? Stick some on this surface and trim it to fit.
dkf.png
Or....I would contact CTS...let them work on this. Pretty sure if this problem has occurred with others...they would've heard about it by now.

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
You could also make a gasket...have any Lamin-x? Stick some on this surface and trim it to fit.
View attachment 219124
Or....I would contact CTS...let them work on this. Pretty sure if this problem has occurred with others...they would've heard about it by now.

I did, I contacted them, and sent them pictures as well, they said they have never heard of anyone having this issue before...

I also searched everywhere on the web, couldn't find anyone having any issue similar to this one...

pardon my ignorance, what's lamin-x? isn't that like protective film? I tried teflon tape around the sensor and o-ring but that didn't hold for too long..

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yeah, it's thick tint film for lenses and what not. I thought it might work well as a gasket as the $#!@t is durable, a bit tacky on one side, handles heat well, alcohol I use for cleaning it doesn't seem to affect it any, and would allow the sensor and the wrinkle coating to embed themselves into it. If you choose...trim and apply it to the flat surface...of the pipe or the sensor, and then put the two together. Might seal it up for you.

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
ok so I decided to give that a try, I applied lamin-x to both surfaces, I put one layer on the flat surface of the sensor and another layer on the flat surface of the pipe, then stick them together, went for a drive, made sure I did couple of pulls where I hit max boost, no leaks so far...hope I don't jinx it but looks like it's sealed...will see when I have to go for a longer drive (1 hour + commute) which is usually when it gets really hot...🤞 thanks!!

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Alright, I was thinking just one layer...but whatever works, right?

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Alright, I was thinking just one layer...but whatever works, right?
Lol yeah I did two layers just in case, thought it would seal even better with two instead of just one since the film is really thin…I’ll go for a long drive tomorrow on the highway where I can hit peak boost and will see if it holds 🤞🤞🤞