GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boost gauge install..

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Hey guys, I just got my 42DD boost tap, OSIR gauge pod and AEM boost gauge this morning, so i decided to install it. It wasn't very difficult at all. The only thing im wondering is... when I roll into it, the gauge doesn't seem to show boost at a consistent rate, it's extremely bouncy and sporadic before it shows my peak PSI, then tapers down. I'm thinking I may have possibly pinched part of the vacuum line when I was zip tying everything down..

What do you guys think could also be causing it? I know it's digital but ive seen this gauge before operate and it shouldn't be this nuts lol.

I did also have to fuck with my accordian hose coming from my turbo to my stock airbox. Piece of shit came loose, so I'm wondering if maybe I have a boost leak...

the car still pulls like a beast but Idk...

Anyway, Here's a quick iphone pick of the setup installed.

thanks for your help everyone!

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
could be a bad electrical connection to the sending unit

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I checked the sending unit, it's in there tight. I wonder if I may have possibly jarred the connector in the back of the gauge itself loose when I was routing wires and crap..

langer

i fix teefs
Can those electrical gauges buzz at all, not at the gauge itself, but at the sending unit? Could try an inline restrictor between the tap and sending unit.

HeartMyVeedub

Ready to race!
Did you fit an inline restrictor? I know some of the new south mechanical gauges require them, the sensor could be getting inconsistent boost readings, just search inline restrictor

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I did not, hmm 42dd has em for 6$ i'll fiddle with the electrical connections tomorrow when it's not dark and raining lol. If that doesn't solve it then i'll order one of those. Thank you guys!! :thumbsup:

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
hmm, i'll fiddle with that turbo connector pipe piece of shit tomorrow if it doesn't rain. I really need to get on building my intake lol.

I don't think im having a boost leak, i'm spiking to 22psi like normal and holding at around 15-16psi. It's just my gauge that doesn't read steady as I build boost.

thanks for the help everyone!

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'll check into it,maybe i can find one at a local store. Do you guys think a regular hardware store would have a restrictor?

langer

i fix teefs
I doubt it. Lots of companies sell restrictors. Definitely not the style that I linked to, but most of them should work if that's the source of your readings flutter.

Last edited:

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Okay, i'll look into the electrical and make sure i didn't pinch the vacuum line anywhere, if that fails I will have to order a restrictor from somewhere.

KenTX

No, Money Down!
I'll check into it,maybe i can find one at a local store. Do you guys think a regular hardware store would have a restrictor?

Does your local hardware store sell aquariums? Petco / Petsmart have them, guaranteed. Eurojet includes one in their boost gauge kit - google for image.