GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bluefin - installation issue - Error Code D003

TG.20T

Searching for bends...
Hi guys,

Received my bluefin today.

Installation cannot be completed because when the unit is trying to save the original ECU file an error appears on the unit and it will progress no further.

-"switch ign. on and press 'Y' do not switch engine on"
-"saving original"........
wait 10-15s..............
-"Error Code D003"

D'oh!

So I had a quick search and it turns out that others have had this problem, and that the problem arises from having had an APR trial previously.

http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1416466&postcount=21

In loose terms, the bluefin map will not write over the other map left on there from the APR trial. (Don't want to get bogged down with why this happens).

Now, I called the place that did the APR trial and the very helpful gentleman has no problems with me coming back to have the stock file 're-installed'. My only problem is that it's well out of my way...

So my question is... does anyone know anywhere else I can go to get the VW stock map 're-installed', other than a dealer, to save me from making the treck up to Mona Vale? I work in Blacktown and live in Eastern suburbs.

Other reason for posting this is to help anyone else who has this problem as the other thread wasn't that easy to find (and took a long time to cut through the technicalities of how / why the bluefin flash couldn't be installed over the APR flash and whose fault it was).

Thanks in advance,

Tom

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
I had this issue, 3 options...

APR..

Dealer...

Another Tuner Might be able to do it, otherwise your shit out of luck :lol:

Unlucky mate, i had the same issue, i had to travel 2 and a half hours, and my car broke down the night before my inital booking :biggrin:

Suck it up, it's worth it (well the day i had mine was :cry:)

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
I had this issue, 3 options...

APR..

Dealer...

Another Tuner Might be able to do it, otherwise your shit out of luck/QUOTE]

The dealer isn't an option unless you want your engine and drivetrain warranty to go away, best to not tell them anything.

As for another tuner it's likely that they won't want to get involved and it's best to take it back to APR.

isaw

Banned
grrrr same issue here, but i didn't arrange the trail. :(

isaw

Banned
I've just called and chatted to Guy at APR, you can tell hes in the sales business! hahaha.

Although he offered to flash me back to stock tomorrow for no charge so I'm very happy with that, and he also advised on some points about the bluefin.

Nardi/other bluefin users... are you worried about the so called longevity issues when using bluefin? the low AFR as seen in Malukos dyno graph? or the high exhaust temps (apparently over 1000 degrees, so says guy)

I'm in 2 minds but interested to hear other experiences from users. I know the apr makes more power/torque but I only want to have it as a daily driver, so I want it livable. thoughts

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
2 words....

Sucked in.

isaw

Banned
and you say that why?
James, you have the BF... why not just say you have no issues with it....?

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
While bluefin is on his car he put a car into his car while another car was put into his car so he now has no car, and is a little bit upset about it.

aww bless him.

Steve_GTI

Ready to race!
isaw, have a search of the forum and you will find there is very little in the way of complaints compared to happy ECU upgrades regardless of the company.
Bluefin would now be the most popular after their recent discount and the only complaint would be the error codes caused by trial reflashes that stop the software to load.
I am still waiting for the Dyno charts from last weekends dyno day to see exactly how much extra power APR/GIAC really gives.
They are all better than stock.

CiaranGTI

Schwam, Doo, Doo and heif
I've just called and chatted to Guy at APR, you can tell hes in the sales business! hahaha.

Although he offered to flash me back to stock tomorrow for no charge so I'm very happy with that, and he also advised on some points about the bluefin.

Nardi/other bluefin users... are you worried about the so called longevity issues when using bluefin? the low AFR as seen in Malukos dyno graph? or the high exhaust temps (apparently over 1000 degrees, so says guy)

I'm in 2 minds but interested to hear other experiences from users. I know the apr makes more power/torque but I only want to have it as a daily driver, so I want it livable. thoughts

All ecu flashes will affect the GTI's longevity, so I think that is a bit of a silly sales method.

If guy is local to you though, APR may be a good bet. you do get pretty good diagnostic help if things go pear shaped.

amrjon

Ready to race!
I can't recall all the details, but when I did my research into the various flashes (more than 18 monts ago), I formed the opinion that BF was actually the most conservative of the reflash options and hence least likley to casue any of the above problems. I can't recall the details now, but I seem to remember there are some 'safety limits' for some elemens of the code that others increase but BF don't alter.
Others may know the details, but I'd stand corrected too.

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr

I know funny was/is concerned by the exhaust temps, so he got superchips to richen up the map a bit. My own logging of the exhaust temps showed them getting up there, but never as high as 1000deg C. My tests were done on the road though. Next track day I might do some vagcom logging, as that's the hardest my car is ever going to be driven. I have no idea what the APR tune is like & not trying to bag it (except for the price), has anyone with APR logged their exhaust temps? How hot does it get?