GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blow by

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
2.0t FSI
DM stg2+, APR hpfp, APR RSC TBE, forge twintake, twintercooler, BSH block-off plate, BSH boost tap, 42DD rear o2 spacer

Ok so been trying to diagnose the car, have had the MAF unplugged due to misfires, but misfires have come back everyone now and then. So checked for codes again, had quite a few.

P0100- no signal from MAF (unplugged)

P0033- turbo bypass valve

P2196- bank 2 sensor 1 02 stuck rich

P0300- random misfires

P1114- bank 1 sensor 2 internal resistance too high

P0140- bank 1 sensor 2 no activity

P0299- boost pressure regulation {control range not met <underboost> }

Anyways, so was going to start diagnosing all this, and thought, I think I'll check PCV, pull dipstick out and air was shooting out. Noticeably. Did the oil fill cap as well and like I said, it was a lot of air.

Help?

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Thinking I'm gonna take the rear o2 spacer off to check and see if that sensor is bad and needs replacing. What I'll do is remove the spacer, then the cat inefficiency code should pop up. That would mean the sensor is good, and I need to play with the spacer for that.

I deleted codes yesterday, and cleaned the MAF and plugged back in. Misfires returned. But no other codes. P0300 only.

I'm really wondering if the PCV is bad, because of the air coming out of the dip tube and oil cap ( when unplugged)

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
You're running the BSH blockoff plate, so you don't have the PCV on your car therefore that cant be the culprit lol. Possibly bad valve cover, and that P0299 code would lead me to believe its a DV issue.

Obviously check your CF if you haven't already done so, the APR pump wears them much faster than the OEM one.

How many miles on plugs and coils? That's another issue that could be going on.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
You're running the BSH blockoff plate, so you don't have the PCV on your car therefore that cant be the culprit lol. Possibly bad valve cover
That's what i meant... VC.. My bad

, and that P0299 code would lead me to believe its a DV issue.
Literally just checked DV a week before code, it's a rev G, but looked fine...

Obviously check your CF if you haven't already done so, the APR pump wears them much faster than the OEM one.
Just checked within the last thousand miles, only about 3-4k on this CF
How many miles on plugs and coils? That's another issue that could be going on.

About 3-4k, replaced with CF

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
If you run the blockoff plate your crankcase gasses evacuate into the turbo which means they're evacuated under vacuum under load, but not at idle like the stock PCV. Some pressure inside the crankcase would be expected at idle, and probably won't hurt anything with regular oil changes.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
^ ah ok. Thanks for clearing that up... So if I'm not getting the smoke screens that rog echt and GIACuser were getting, I'm assuming VC is still good?

Also since above codes:
I cleaned MAF and plugged in
Misfires; no CEL
So I unplugged again
Less misfires, and only 2 codes
Unplugged MAF code
And rear o2 code.

Was talking to my mechanic at work about, we were thinking I have the spacer oriented wrong. I have the o2 sensor coming out towards the drivers seat, he is thinking that it's not getting enough exhaust to sample, because the exhaust flow is pulling it out away from the sensor. So hopefully today I'm gonna reverse it and see if it helps.

ViRtUaLheretic

&#9581;&#8745;&#9582;&#65288;&#65078;__&#65078;&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
For those running the 42DD spacer, how far is yours threaded in?

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
I think my VC is done... Raced my boss today And he said he was seeing blue smoke from the exhaust... That's oil right?0

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Is that faced way from the engine or towards? My mid pipe looks diff from that one

Edit: looks like it's facing towards the engine?

Well, I thought his was pointed away from the motor, but the heat wrap wouldn't be on the cat back so his must be facing towards. Mine is pointed away. I have a hard time believeing the direction it faces would make much of a difference.

Edit: Blue smoke is usually oil. I blow white smoke all day lol.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
I didn't either but I was talking to my mechanic about it because I was throwing rear o2 codes. For high internal intermittence and no activity, almost as if the sensor wasn't working. But I took the spacer out and almost immediately threw the cat inefficiency code, which would mean the sensor is working. So what he came up win was perhaps there wasn't enough exhaust reaching the sensor. Mine was oriented to the rear, but was not threaded in as far, and that could have been the problem. But my mechanic was talking about the flow of the exhaust past the spacer seems like it would draw a slight vacuum, pulling the gases away from the sensor. He recommended keeping it faced towards the rear, thinking it would easier for the gases to reach the sensor.