GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BlaineWasHere's FR-S Build Thread!

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
I have to say I like the idea of the BR-Z/FRS but i have a personal disgust for anything scion after seeing my brothers pukey-ass xB. Total crap heap. Give it Subaru badges and its magically better.
... available in an AWD package, so a RWD setup isn't hard to imagine. :iono:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Nice choice!

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
You guys are either high, or confused. Re-read what I wrote, not what was quoted, which is out of context.

A RWD drive GTI could easily be brought to market to compete in this segment. There's already a Golf variant with a floor pan that has a transmission tunnel. Making a RWD transmission would be easy, compared to the AWD transmission they already make, and the weight would be distributed towards the back, for better weight balancing.

Think before you face palm.

Last edited:

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
I quoted your entire post, in context, and stand by my face palm.

A GTI/A3/TT based RWD car? Why would you bother? Too many compromises!

The GTI (and the TT after it) is a transverse FWD platform adapted to AWD in a pinch. And Haldex at that! It is primarily a FWD econo-box platform. Quit your mental masterbation. The GTI is not a sports car! The GTI is a tarted up econo-box. Making a RWD version would be a colosal waste of time. It would suck.

There is a reason (well, several I am sure) the W12-650 thing never went to production.

If VW wanted to compete with the FR-S/BR-Z, they should start with a clean sheet of paper. My guess is that ain't happening.

Quite frankly, in this economy, I see the FRS/BRZ as a fucking miracle! In retrospect I see the 1990 Miata as a fucking miracle too. I owned a '99 and am shocked that thing got past the accountants. This kind of car doesn't happen every day. Just look at Honda since the S2k...

Discounting the FR-S because it wears the same badge as the xB is equally fucking stoopid.

That said, I have a nice beer buz going now. Missus started my evening with a margi. Did I mention she has a bartenders license? Best fucking money we've ever spent, sending her and her GFs to that class.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Well dude, I'll try not to harsh your buzz too much. A bartender girlfriend would be a terrible thing to waste!

But seriously... you took my comment, and put it underneath something other than what I was commenting on. That's the very definition of the phrase, "out of context", so...

facepalm.jpg

By your own point... the FRS isn't a sports car either! And the GTI itself is a very successful compromise. We wouldn't even have the GTI if someone didn't originally step past the whole, "That's crazy to soup up an economy car like that. And a hatchback, no less!" The rest is history.

You're comparing the W12 as a concept to something like an FR-S? And you accuse me of mental masturbation?!? That's a helluva reach to justify the idea that something way cheaper and more accessible wouldn't fly. Hell, what a great way to differentiate the Scirocco as a "driver's car"!

What we do agree on, is the bespoke nature of the FR-S gives it a huge advantage, with its low center of gravity and balance. Your concern for the financial viability of these types of cars is equally just, but then, that's why there'd be a logical argument to try to compete on more modest terms.

The FR-S is here now only because its design phase predates the crash in 2008. If VW decided it needed to compete in this segment now, what car would make more sense to adapt?

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Rwd jsw please if we're playing fantasy car.
Euro-spec 3-series wagon, imported with a manual and none of the bells and whistles maybe? Priced to compete with the JSW, of course.

If VW decided it needed to compete in this segment now, what car would make more sense to adapt?
Nothing. As stated, I think they would have to start with a clean sheet of paper. Everything I am aware of is either FWD biased or too big.

IIRC the FR-S/BR-Z is a brand new platform. Before that Toyota was in a similar position.

At any rate. Blaine, on with the pictahs!!