GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Billstein: Sport vs HD

DBL0ZRO

NNJ SCCA G STOCK #13
Anyone tried both or have experience with both?

I AutoX my DD in G Stock and want a great shock that I wont regret driving daily through pot hole ridden New Jersey.

From what I have read it looks like the HD is a little softer than the Sport.

Does anyone have any real life experience or advice they can share?

Thanks

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
HD are designed for stock height so they have more travel and makes them feel softer while Sport are shorter and better suited for lowered cars.

yup. +1

Lowered less than or about 1 inch: HD

Lowered more than 1 inch: Sport

example:

Driver Gear springs or Eibach Pro-Kit: use HDs

H&R Super Sports or Eibach Sportlines: use Sports

DBL0ZRO

NNJ SCCA G STOCK #13
What do you guys think if I'm going to use stock springs and want to upgrade my shocks for autocross in SCCA Stock class.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
What do you guys think if I'm going to use stock springs and want to upgrade my shocks for autocross in SCCA Stock class.

If you are on 07 stock springs use HDs.

You may be able to use Bilstein Sports if you were on the OE 2009 springs as they are a bit lower. To be 100% safe you might not want to swap in the 2009 springs, but I've never seen it questioned in tech before. It also depends on who is doing your inspections... I'd run Koni Sports if you know what you're doing to adjust them. As long as you use a stock spring, don't change the attachment points, and use the stock method of attachment, (all of these apply with all of the aforementioned dampers) you will be fine.

You cannot go wrong with any of them really.

freedomweasel

Passed Driver's Ed
I had no idea you could change shocks and stay in G-stock. So on an '09 with stock springs, I could grab the Bilstein HDs and remain legal?

Why does ecstuning describe the HDs as being perfect for "heavy hauling" and "off-road use"?

Last edited:

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
I had no idea you could change shocks and stay in G-stock. So on an '09 with stock springs, I could grab the Bilstein HDs and remain legal?

Why does ecstuning describe the HDs as being perfect for "heavy hauling" and "off-road use"?

The HD description is just a canned Bilstein description. ECS didn't write it.

And yes, as long as ride height and spring are not altered you are good to go in G-Stock. It has been that way for years.
(*disclaimer)...unless they decided to change it for 2011. I have not even paid attention to the 2011 book.

freedomweasel

Passed Driver's Ed
The HD description is just a canned Bilstein description. ECS didn't write it.

And yes, as long as ride height and spring are not altered you are good to go in G-Stock. It has been that way for years.
(*disclaimer)...unless they decided to change it for 2011. I have not even paid attention to the 2011 book.

I just checked my local club's website and it looks like that's the case. I can change my shocks as long as the ride height stays the same.

I don't want to thread-jack, but are their other options aside from the HDs that are designed to work with stock springs?

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
I just checked my local club's website and it looks like that's the case. I can change my shocks as long as the ride height stays the same.

I don't want to thread-jack, but are their other options aside from the HDs that are designed to work with stock springs?

The Koni FSDs, but IMO you would be better off going with the HDs.

DBL0ZRO

NNJ SCCA G STOCK #13
Request move to Autocross/Track Thread

For Autocross, with an 07 GTi, on stock springs, Billstein HD or Sport shocks for G Stock?

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
Request move to Autocross/Track Thread

For Autocross, with an 07 GTi, on stock springs, Billstein HD or Sport shocks for G Stock?

Bilstein Sports are not meant for stock height. The damper extended length is shorter on the Sports for accommodating lowering springs. The Bilstein HDs are designed exactly for what you've got. That is as simple as it gets man. If you were to be on track and hit a crest at 130, top out the shock (potentially blowing a seal) and land off kilter... you'd be in the tires faster than you could say Juan Fangio.

HDs. Final answer.