GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big(er) turbos and the 1.8

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
There is a lot of information out there for 2.0 guys and bigger turbos like the L450/500, or EQTs. How much of that information translates over to the 1.8s? I know we have a different HPFP and different injectors than the R (maybe the GTI also?).

At minimum, what would I need to run a L450 type turbo? Not looking for max HP, looking for a good boost in power with room to grow. IE, I don't mind running the turbo at say 18-20 PSI if it will be a good bump over my IS20 and won't be annoying to drive.

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
You would need to use the GTI HPFP and there is no way to use it correctly with Maestro. GTI or Golf R injectors are also an upgrade that would help.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
You would need to use the GTI HPFP and there is no way to use it correctly with Maestro. GTI or Golf R injectors are also an upgrade that would help.
What options do we have for engine management for upgraded fueling? I know Reflect says they can do it, but no self tune or other protune options. Cobb doesn't support 1.8s?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Eurodyne is out, Cobb is out. I don't think APR offers a OTS tune for the 1.8 and fuel pump upgrade? What am I left with? Just Reflect? Maybe UM? :(

How far can i get with the fuel system that's sitting in the 1.8 from the factory?

What happened to your 2.0 alltrack?

No self-tuning options really. Cobb will not offer support for the 1.8 as it's a "non-enthusiasts" car.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
APR's IS38 tune is the biggest I'd go on stock fueling. UM is an option, but gets pricey once you add secondary injection.

No complaints on APR's IS38 tune. See the time in my signature, that was with wheelhop and a nasty headwind. I'm hoping for a low 12 this fall, possibly lower after I add meth.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Is your car DSG or 6 MT? I'd need an extra 40 hp just to make up for my 6 MT. :D

EDIT: Just checked the 1/4 time list and saw you're DSG.

BTW,

I'm going to be at Elite Motorsport tomorrow morning. I'm just going to a simple alignment, but figured I'd make the trip out to check the place out since you speak highly of it. They may end up being who does my next turbo install. We'll see.

APR's IS38 tune is the biggest I'd go on stock fueling. UM is an option, but gets pricey once you add secondary injection.

No complaints on APR's IS38 tune. See the time in my signature, that was with wheelhop and a nasty headwind. I'm hoping for a low 12 this fall, possibly lower after I add meth.

Last edited:

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
Eurodyne is out, Cobb is out. I don't think APR offers a OTS tune for the 1.8 and fuel pump upgrade? What am I left with? Just Reflect? Maybe UM? :(

How far can i get with the fuel system that's sitting in the 1.8 from the factory?

What happened to your 2.0 alltrack?

You can't get too far with the 1.8 fueling without supplementing it somehow.

2.0 Alltrack is stuck at IS20 right now. I've been semi-trying to sell it.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
In your opinion, is there any huge disadvantage to running something like a L450 at a level that would max out the stock fuel system, compared to a L380 size turbo at a higher boost?

Would the fueling ceiling pretty much give the advantage to the L380 size turbo because I can't run higher boost pressures at higher RPMs with the L450 turbo?

You can't get too far with the 1.8 fueling without supplementing it somehow.

2.0 Alltrack is stuck at IS20 right now. I've been semi-trying to sell it.

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
In your opinion, is there any huge disadvantage to running something like a L450 at a level that would max out the stock fuel system, compared to a L380 size turbo at a higher boost?

Would the fueling ceiling pretty much give the advantage to the L380 size turbo because I can't run higher boost pressures at higher RPMs with the L450 turbo?

The stock IS38 pretty much maxes out stock fueling.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
There is a guy with a lifted Alltrack works for a shop in Colorado. Jaryd Thompson? Blue Water Imports I think. He has big turbo AND fueling add on to supplement. It’s a nice build, Google him. It was in VW Vortex I think

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I remember that guy. As of the writing of this article, he was still having software problems. Seems like software support is going to be a tough hurdle to overcome.

https://bwperformance.com/blog/post/alltrack-unrivaled-first-of-its-kind

There is a guy with a lifted Alltrack works for a shop in Colorado. Jaryd Thompson? Blue Water Imports I think. He has big turbo AND fueling add on to supplement. It’s a nice build, Google him. It was in VW Vortex I think

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
The UM Alltrack in Colorado is working fine with the mpi. He did a dyno with BFG All terrains on it and still managed like 390/435 or somewhere in that neighborhood. I'd imagine he would be well over 400whp with lighter wheels and tires. Reflect tuning isn't the only one to offer support for the HPFP upgrade. I know that Joshua from CT motorsports in PR has done a handful of hybrid turbo 1.8 car that have had the 2.0 hpfp. UGP did the tuning for him. If you are on the Facebook groups, a guy named Mirza in NJ does the tuning for UGP. Also, There is a 4motion sportwagen currently running a Mabo is38 DBB hybrid turbo with the Mabo upgraded HPFP and an upgrade LPFP. He is still dialing it in with Frank, but he is making full pressure at the rail. That is on Maestro, so let's see where it goes.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The UM Alltrack in Colorado is working fine with the mpi. He did a dyno with BFG All terrains on it and still managed like 390/435 or somewhere in that neighborhood. I'd imagine he would be well over 400whp with lighter wheels and tires. Reflect tuning isn't the only one to offer support for the HPFP upgrade. I know that Joshua from CT motorsports in PR has done a handful of hybrid turbo 1.8 car that have had the 2.0 hpfp. UGP did the tuning for him. If you are on the Facebook groups, a guy named Mirza in NJ does the tuning for UGP. Also, There is a 4motion sportwagen currently running a Mabo is38 DBB hybrid turbo with the Mabo upgraded HPFP and an upgrade LPFP. He is still dialing it in with Frank, but he is making full pressure at the rail. That is on Maestro, so let's see where it goes.
Damn, you're always on top of the pulse! Mabo has a HPFP and LPFP working in Maestro?? Where can I keep up to date with that build? FB?