GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bi-Xenon Headlights replacement

Weathermaker

Car(s)
MKV GTI, B5 S4
Hello all! New to the forums, and to the GTI ownership lifestyle. I recently purchased a 2007 GTI and have been conquering all of the issues it has one by one. I'm a little bit stumped on the headlight situation.

My car came stock with the bi-xenon HID headlights, and 12-prong connector. They are in very bad shape and desperately need to be replaced. Still may hunt down the previous owner and give him a piece of my mind about the hackjob he did on the wiring in the back of the headlights.

Anyways, I've been looking into aftermarket options, but the options for the 12-prong connector are very limited, and I cannot justify spending 800 bucks on OEM replacements.

Has anyone successfully converted the 12-prong connector on the car side to an aftermarket set of headlights that have the 10-prong connector, and if so, was it a total pain in the butt? What all had to happen to make it work?

If this topic has been covered already, my apologies. I did search around but did not find anyone dealing with this exact same issue.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
You could look at the aftermarket Bi-xenon that start at about $200 each ........

If you want to go with the Halogen 10pin you will need to make your own 12pin harness to 10 pin headlight adapters because no one makes them or you could get some used 10pin plugs with pigtails and wire those to the harness. You only use 6 wires to run with the halogen headlights.

Weathermaker

Car(s)
MKV GTI, B5 S4
I haven’t had much luck finding aftermarket bi-xenon, could you link me if possible?

So if I were to pull a 10 prong harness from a junkyard golf or jetta, I could wire it up and make it work? Won’t have any crazy voltage issues or anything like that?

eliwise

Passed Driver's Ed
I just bought a replacement for by Bi-X passenger side from a salvage. Great lens and super clear plastic. Only issue is that the top tab is broken and it seems to angle a little high. Not sure what to do about this issue. I guess it is back to eBay to find a different headlight that doesn’t have a broken tab on top.

Does anyone reading this thread know of a solution to the top tab being broken?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I just bought a replacement for by Bi-X passenger side from a salvage. Great lens and super clear plastic. Only issue is that the top tab is broken and it seems to angle a little high. Not sure what to do about this issue. I guess it is back to eBay to find a different headlight that doesn’t have a broken tab on top.

Does anyone reading this thread know of a solution to the top tab being broken?
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Lighting/Headlights/Repair_Kit/

Headlight tab repair kits.