Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
shots fired
Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 5.32.20 PM.png

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Does anyone else find the chick fil a programmed response of "my pleasure!" a little bit creepy?
Not at all. For my entire life "my pleasure" was a common reply when one said "thank you" in this type of setting. Somehow in recent years that response has morphed into "no problem", and THAT I find creepy. No problem? Of course it's not a problem. It's a mindless dumb reply.

You probably hear "my pleasure" here for 2 reasons - one, the employees are actually trained, unlike many fast food employees nowadays, who just want $15/hr for showing up and doing a shitty job. Secondly, have you ever seen a CFA or In-N-Out burger employee who actually seems to hate their job? They don't exist. So "my pleasure" is a totally appropriate response when it's sincere.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Not at all. For my entire life "my pleasure" was a common reply when one said "thank you" in this type of setting. Somehow in recent years that response has morphed into "no problem", and THAT I find creepy. No problem? Of course it's not a problem. It's a mindless dumb reply.

You probably hear "my pleasure" here for 2 reasons - one, the employees are actually trained, unlike many fast food employees nowadays, who just want $15/hr for showing up and doing a shitty job. Secondly, have you ever seen a CFA or In-N-Out burger employee who actually seems to hate their job? They don't exist. So "my pleasure" is a totally appropriate response when it's sincere.
Perhaps it's a regional thing? "You're welcome" is a more normal reply where I'm from. It's not just the words though, it's the dead-eyed stare, hollow smile and eerily similar intonation that makes it seem practiced and cult like, rather than appreciative.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
It’s not a spicy chicken sandwich if the “spicy ness” is in the Mayo. Without it, it’s just a chicken sandwich. Popeyes is out.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Maybe it’s a generation thing. I’m cool with no problem. No prob bob. Thanks. See ya. Peace. Whatever really.

CfA sauce is pretty delicious tho.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Perhaps it's a regional thing? "You're welcome" is a more normal reply where I'm from. It's not just the words though, it's the dead-eyed stare, hollow smile and eerily similar intonation that makes it seem practiced and cult like, rather than appreciative.
Common here too and around me when I grew up (SF bay area before Silicon Valley ate it).

I don't get the "hollow smile" feeling from these guys at all. Or if I ever have, it's been so rare as to not remember it occurring.