GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battling Cylinder 4 misfire

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Yeah I think I was "noticing" a change because I did something, kinda like how you swear you notice an improvement in horsepower by putting on stickers. I think it's just a good preventative thing to do not a repair. I am curious as to why you are supposed to change your oil after you seafoam.

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
And installing S3 injectors on a non-modified car will only make it run worse.
Because my car isn't modified, nor would I be sending my ecu for a custom tune for my new Intake manifold, and the injectors?

Lemme know, PM if anything.. :thumbsup:

Shit, let me know about the "S3" injectors too! $600 is insane when the RS4s are $200 cheaper.
I will look into it when I have some free time and see what is the deal on em.:wink:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Update: Cleaned the intake valves and man that bolt for the intake manifold support brace is a bitch to get in or out. Found some crazy tools that work really well for cleaning like a baby bottle brush and an orange peeler. The bad idle is still there but the valves so needed a cleaning. I used the vag com afterwards to see where the misfires were and they are only at idle, bring the car up anywhere above 800 rpms and they completely disappear. Could this be an issue with the cam follower?

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
It very well could be, I would pull it and check, if you haven't in a while, run to the stealer real quick, pay $50 for a new one and just change it.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I ordered a new cam follower and just for shits and giggles I decided to order new coil packs. I guess in the grand scheme of things the cost to do that is way cheaper than what the charge would of been to clean the intakes if I wouldn't of done it myself and I will have some extra coil packs if not needed.

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
:thumbsup: that way you're set for the next round.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
It runs smoother and idles better just not like it should.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
betcha its the coil packs.. thats what fixed my misfires.. hope you get this sorted!

Spoo, aside from when one obviously shits the bed, what's the consensus on what mileage the coilpacks should be replaced at?

Kishon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkvGti
Dude, did you manage to sort out your car? From my experience i did all the same as you. Changed coil packs, Valve cleaning, cam follower, spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump and then i pulled out the injector that was misfiring and sent it for a service. They stripped the injector and replaced all the seals and internal sivs and did testing. Apparently the injector never missed any pulses. Put it back and i was frustrated all over again. I was truly stomped. I was :mad0259: so i went to VW and bought a single injector, Slapped in on and presto. Turns out the when they tested the injector there was never any heat around it. For some reason it only misfired when the car hit its peak operating temperature.

Well that was from my experience, good luck!

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
It seems that it takes a bit for the car to figure itself out after a valve cleaning because it got progressively better over a few days. Slapped in the new coil packs with the red tops and its waaay better. Still the occasional tiny motor shake but idles very nice for now.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Dude, did you manage to sort out your car? From my experience i did all the same as you. Changed coil packs, Valve cleaning, cam follower, spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump and then i pulled out the injector that was misfiring and sent it for a service. They stripped the injector and replaced all the seals and internal sivs and did testing. Apparently the injector never missed any pulses. Put it back and i was frustrated all over again. I was truly stomped. I was :mad0259: so i went to VW and bought a single injector, Slapped in on and presto. Turns out the when they tested the injector there was never any heat around it. For some reason it only misfired when the car hit its peak operating temperature.

Well that was from my experience, good luck!

Thanks for asking. The car is running better but it isn't perfect. I suspect the issues are related to local fuel quality. It runs better on some tanks than on others, and I suspect there is moisture in the tank as well because it ran better after I ran some seafoam in the gas to try to dissipate the moisture (this was recommended by my mechanic). I still have to find time to log again to see if I can get some additional clues but I am really limited for time these days. Will update once I figure out what's up.