GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Baggin' another five

blah blah build

Here's another air ride build. No theme, just trying to keep it low-key. Thanks to everyone who gave insight. Big thanks to Zach at BDA. Thanks to the local heads for the support.

the car is currently on k-sport coils. rear perches out

--
parts:
mason-tech struts w/bearing relocation
2 3-gal tanks
dual 480's
autopilot
airlift manifolds
--

Taking off my front sway. Thanks Mike at Canyon Racer

--

In the trunk, I had to work around a few things:
• Relocated the huge power cable to go around the other side of the hump
• Moved the fusebox back a little bit
• Build the frame around the spare tire hump and the battery box

Here is the initial fitment of the frame. It raised the floor 7.5 and evens up with that rail thing in the back of the trunk. I didn't have the management at the time so I went off the measurements on the AAC website.

The oem floor cover thing didn't fit anymore so I had to trim 1.5" off the plastic on the inside of it. I carefully tore the back of it and pulled out the plastic/corrogated board thing inside of it.

Trimmed 1.5" off the plastic with a box cutta

Used some super 77 and cloth tape to seal it back up:

oem as hell.
--

I decided that I wanted to carpet it since everything was looking good.

The felt wasn't a perfect match, but it was close enough.
--

Eventually, the management arrived. I plopped the stuff down where I planned, luckily they fit.

My dumbass didn't think that drilling and cutting with a holesaw would fuck the carpet up that much, but it did. I had to recarpet 3 of the panels. finally got everything bolted up.

Compressors will fill from each side. The sensor will go on the top of the vertical tank. I will T off to the valves from the left of the horizontal tank. I hope this is the most efficient way to plumb for this setup. Maybe I'll upgrade to hardline sometime in the future.

Spoke with zack about what fittings i needed. Should be getting them this week. Hopefully....
--

While I'm waiting, I decided to take care of all the electrical. My goal was to make it so my management was 'modular.' Should I find the need to work on it, all i have to do is disconnect air lines, power, ACC, unscrew 3 grounds, and pull it out.

I was confused at first because the wiring diagram didn't have a pressure switch in it. I finally realized that the autoPilot has a built-in pressure switch...sick. I had to change up a few things because I only wanted the compressors running when the car was on.

I found a box at home depot shaved a few things inside and cut off one side so the relays/wiring will fit.

Cleaned everything up:

Only had to run 2 wires to the front: ACC and the controller wire. Throwing the controller in a dash cubby.

Threw the management in the trunk, connected a few wires, turned on the car.... compressors went on. They aren't that loud from the outside. On the inside, it's a different story...we'll see with all the interior back in.
--

This system has pancake up/down and a preset (i wish it had a few more presets) so I went ahead and made the 3 blank buttons up in front of the shifter preset buttons.

I went off this DIY[/I]

I've never soldered anything in my life. After watching a few youtube videos, I figured it out

Made a harness so it would be easier to disconnect if i have to.

Put a harness on the buttons on the ashtray thing.

Made a cable and connected the 2 together:

We've got bush!

--

That's it for now. Waiting on a few parts so I can plumb the shit and get the struts/bags in. If you have any suggestions or anything...go for it

Last edited:

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
Sick :drool:

Wondering what the Omanyt's look like on CW :thumbsup:

willsgti

Black Magic
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Whats the estimated cost with all the work done?

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
Soooo... what happens if youre riding too low and blow out a tire? How heavy is that mother trucka in the trunk? Just wondering bc I cant help but think that box is heavy as fuck.. Either way its a clean ass install and looking great.. Keep us updated!!

very clean install so far. I'm impressed with your craftsmanship
ty

i think you'll be one of the only mkv R's in so cal with bags
imagine what the socal r32 guys are gonna say? haaate is in the air

Soooo... what happens if youre riding too low and blow out a tire? How heavy is that mother trucka in the trunk? Just wondering bc I cant help but think that box is heavy as fuck.. Either way its a clean ass install and looking great.. Keep us updated!!
it is kinda heavy and awkward to put in the trunk. I might have to keep my donut on top of the floor. We'll see what happens

skacoreimplore

they see me trollinnn
Car(s)
GTI MKV

Having a spare is not balla status