GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bad jumpstart

Rpetty.13

I made the mistake of letting a friend hook up the jumper cables to his car. I assumed he could handle red to red and black to black but apperently not. I jumped the car with the cables on backwards, and instantly the horn of my gti began to blare and the headlight washers shot out and began to spray fluid. We jumped it the right way after that but it couldn’t run on it’s own without giving it throttle. I drove it around the parking lot and it ran fine but then it beeped and the check engine light, along with the epc light and the traction control light came on. I left it as is because I feared I’d mess it up more. I should also note radio lights and radio itself quit working. Any thoughts? 2006 gti 2.0L

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
There is a fuse in the radio in my car. It wouldn't hurt to test all fuses in the power distribution compartment. Hopefully you haven't fried any relays or your ECU. @doc280 is right. The OBD2 port test will tell you something and allow a reset of the codes. (Free at Auto-Zone even...) Do you have access to VAG-Com? I understand that is the window to everything in our cars.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I hope you are a lucky person because this could get expensive real fast, your friend does have insurance I hope.

Rpetty.13

I have a
There is a fuse in the radio in my car. It wouldn't hurt to test all fuses in the power distribution compartment. Hopefully you haven't fried any relays or your ECU. @doc280 is right. The OBD2 port test will tell you something and allow a reset of the codes. (Free at Auto-Zone even...) Do you have access to VAG-Com? I understand that is the window to everything in our cars.
I’m currently going to where it’s parked at to take the battery out, try to start it and go from there. There’s not much I can do because it’s in a parking lot that’s ab 20 mins away from my house/shop

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
"@doc280 is right. The OBD2 port test will tell you something and allow a reset of the codes. (Free at Auto-Zone even...)"
There is a connector at the bottom of the dash left of the steering column, just right of the hood release that you can plug one of these into:
OBD2_reader.jpg
Alternate thread:https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/inde...-please-read-i-need-help.370496/#post-7377618

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
First Take a DVM and check you battery for proper voltage if fine +12.6V then check the fuses SA in the front of the fuse box next to battery box then look at SB top of fuse box and finally SC side of driver dash panel.

SA main fuses front of box SB top of box

SC fuse panel

Next do a scan and see what it shows, a generic ODB scan tool is not going to cut it, need Vcds or something equivalent if you can save scan info for later fine. Clear codes and then try to start engine, if it starts or not read codes again and see what you have for current Dtc.

May also want to just post in one place and not all over the place for the same issue, surprised a Mod has not closed down or joined the others make life easier.

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Ok so you have the enhanced Carista scan tool and not the generic OBD scan tool which makes a big difference when working on these cars.

doc280

Ready to race!
Ok so you have the enhanced Carista scan tool and not the generic OBD scan tool which makes a big difference when working on these cars.
I have a BAFX OBD2 bluetooth interface (Amazon - $20 or so) and use my tablet or smartphone. The Carista app is so easy to use and keeps none computer guys, like me , out of trouble from messing lines of code up. I have used it to customize the features of my GTI and clear fault codes, ranging from bulbs to airbags.

When a bulb goes out on these cars and it is replaced, until the fault code is cleared the new bulb will not work. Thinking because of this "feature" clearing the fault codes might help the OP. Carista is an easy and cheaper option than the cable.