GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bad Jumpstart

Rpetty.13

I made the mistake of letting a friend hook up the jumper cables to his car. I assumed he could handle red to red and black to black but apperently not. I jumped the car with the cables on backwards, and instantly the horn of my gti began to blare and the headlight washers shot out and began to spray fluid. We jumped it the right way after that but it couldn’t run on it’s own without giving it throttle. I drove it around the parking lot and it ran fine but then it beeped and the check engine light, along with the epc light and the traction control light came on. I left it as is because I feared I’d mess it up more. I should also note radio lights and radio itself quit working. Any thoughts? 2006 gti 2.0L

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
First Take a DVM and check you battery for proper voltage if fine +12.6V then check the fuses SA in the front of the fuse box next to battery box then look at SB top of fuse box and finally SC side of driver dash panel.

SA main fuses front of box SB top of box

SC fuse panel

Next do a scan and see what it shows, a generic ODB scan tool is not going to cut it, need Vcds or something equivalent if you can save scan info for later fine. Clear codes and then try to start engine, if it starts or not read codes again and see what you have for current Dtc.

May also want to just post in one place and not all over the place for the same issue, surprised a Mod has not closed down or joined the others make life easier.

Last edited:

Rpetty.13

First Take a DVM and check you battery for proper voltage if fine +12.6V then check the fuses SA in the front of the fuse box next to battery box then look at SB top of fuse box and finally SC side of driver dash panel.

SA main fuses front of box SB top of box

SC fuse panel

Next do a scan and see what it shows, a generic ODB scan tool is not going to cut it, need Vcds or something equivalent if you can save scan info for later fine. Clear codes and then try to start engine, if it starts or need read codes again and see what you have for current Dtc.

May also want to just post in one place and not all over the place for the same issue, surprised a Mod has not closed down or joined the others make life easier.
Thank you sm