GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bad axle? Wobble at high speeds

Denied

Dont know what I'm doing.
Car(s)
GTI MkV
Hey guys,

I've been fighting this wobble for quite awhile now and i'm running out of ideas. After lowering the car (about 2 inches) I've developed a side to side wobble in the front end. On smaller roads I don't notice it nearly as much but once I get to around 80 on the highway it can get quite severe. The odd thing is though I can let off a tad maybe switch lanes and continue on at around 80 and its mostly gone..It always comes back though and whether its triggered by wind, acceleration, high/low spots in the road I'm not sure...

So far I've

Triple checked the entire suspension front and rear, everything seems fine.
Swapped over to my winter set of wheels and the problem is still there.
Had 2 alignments from different places..

I don't have any shake in the steering wheel, nor am I aware of any clicking or clunking. Maybe two or three times I've heard a small clunk pulling out of a parking spot at full lock but I've always assumed it to be strut mount related.

I'm starting to lean towards my axle. With the car on stands and the wheels off If I shake the axle forward and back (towards the passenger side and then back towards me) there's a decent amount of play in there and If I do it hard enough it makes a audible clunky chime sound. Is this normal?

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

highroller

Passed Driver's Ed
I had wobble at around 30ks - 70ks and turns out it was because i had no hub centric rings so maybe check if you have the right ones in?

Denied

Car(s)
GTI MkV
I had wobble at around 30ks - 70ks and turns out it was because i had no hub centric rings so maybe check if you have the right ones in?

Yea unfortunately that's not it either. I have the correct ones for my current wheels and the wobble persists on my stock winter wheels.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Could be an axle. I think a tiny amount of in and out play is normal, like 1 or 2 mm. Another thing could be bad control arm bushings.

Denied

Car(s)
GTI MkV
Could be an axle. I think a tiny amount of in and out play is normal, like 1 or 2 mm. Another thing could be bad control arm bushings.

I was digging through old receipts given to me by the previous owner and found out he replaced an axle (not sure what side yet) with a cheapo autozone axle. Really hoping this is the issue but I'll take a good look at my control arm bushings as well when I can get under the car tomorrow.

Thanks for the input!